Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SparticleBrane:
Just curious--how do you feel about removing things from actual wrecks (as opposed to an artifical reef--and a US carrier at that)?

I am not taking anything off ANY wreck unless I've been asked to by someone in a position to ask me to do so. I WOULD remove a historical artifact off a wreck if I thought it might be pilfered, but I'd deliver to a museum for proper keeping.

Others are free to do as they please....

Don Janni:
When my wife and I dove the Oriskany we went with Viking diving, Tim Thorsen and his Daughter, Brittany. We really liked Tim and his Daugher and the whole experience of diving with them. After the first dive Tim asked me if I'd seen the chrome plated telephone in the small room on the back side of the control room and I said no. On the next dive he took us there so we could see it. That was kind of cool you know.

It really disappoints me that Tim would suggest to a low-life scavenger that he take the phone. It's actually hard to believe he would suggest it. The guy is probably telling a bald face lie. Low-life's do that you know.

Either way, I think scavengers like that are real low life's and deserve jail if caught.

Sounds like to me he was already working on getting you to get that phone for him then before he got the other guy to do that. I wonder what his response would have been had you said yes. Maybe he would have suggested you try and take it and handed you some tools.

I'm diving her labor day, what's was the temp @ your max depth?

Rich Sleppy's post is still out on Yahoo. Nobody has taken it down. I replied and told him how sad it was that somebody had beaten him to the handset. I even marked out the heavy sarcasm spread within my post so that it wouldn't be lost on him. What a true dope.

Rich Sleppy "Here let me be a jack#$$ and then tell everybody about it in a public forum". If he is that smart I am suprised he hasn't killed himself off yet.

Jason B:
The ship was a piece of junk that was stripped, had holes cut in it, and sunk.

Un-wad panties and go dive.

This is a very common response from a NC diver.

Don Janni:
When my wife and I dove the Oriskany we went with Viking diving, Tim Thorsen and his Daughter, Brittany. We really liked Tim and his Daugher and the whole experience of diving with them. After the first dive Tim asked me if I'd seen the chrome plated telephone in the small room on the back side of the control room and I said no. On the next dive he took us there so we could see it. That was kind of cool you know.

It really disappoints me that Tim would suggest to a low-life scavenger that he take the phone. It's actually hard to believe he would suggest it. The guy is probably telling a bald face lie. Low-life's do that you know.

Either way, I think scavengers like that are real low life's and deserve jail if caught.

I hear ya Don but the Captain still had to see this guy lug these items back onto HIS boat.

When it comes to genuine wrecks, salvage can save pieces of history that would otherwise be lost to the sea. In the case of an artificial reef we have an entirely different matter - the reef was placed to be a reef. There is no "salvage," only theft.
The Oriskany is Florida's property, given to it by the Navy, on condition that Florida use it for a public reef. There are no salvage rights on it.
The folks who took stuff off her are just thieves, nothing else.
Rick

Incredibly stupid to do something like that. But like most who can't see the real issue, they brag about it.

Jason B:
The ship was a piece of junk that was stripped, had holes cut in it, and sunk.
Un-wad panties and go dive.
The original comment may have been off base, or maybe just a troll.
The reply:
scubadobadoo:
This is a very common response from a NC diver.
was just wrong, unsupportable, and un-called-for.

BD

Back
Top Bottom