Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In answer to the last question...National Marine Sanctuaries do it all the time (claim territory and items outside the state and national boundaries). Therefore, it is almost a certainty that the permits and statutes that allowed the FWC to sink the Oriskany at that location retain all the rights of oversight and administration for it.
Now then, has anyone checked E-bay for the purloined (translate that to "stolen", because the former word is far too elegant for what those clods did) items removed from the O? Also, I find it very doubtful that the captain and crew of the charter vessel could have been ignorant of what was going on. Do they really not watch and assist as their clients re-board the boat after a dive? Surely, not. And I think any captain worth his salt would either citizen arrest the thief on the spot or have law enforcement meet the guy at the dock. Diving doesn't have any "cops" patrolling its ranks for clandestine activity like this. That leaves it up to each of us to pitch in, folks. Telling a person how to wear their octo doesn't deserve policing...open theft and desecration of a national treasure does.

This isn't quite a national treasure.

And simply because the fed gov't decides it can change the boundaries and claim new things, doesn't mean a state can.

Come on, I know we got some lawyers on this site, any opining as to case law or precendent for this?

FD

Thank you for posting the dive op that allowed this. Now I know who NOT to give my business to.

GUBA... Once you mentioned Ebay, I did an Ebay search. Thankfully, I didn't find anything that could have come off the USS Oriskany. It's mostly canvas prints, postmarks, books, tshirts, and baseball caps. Hopefully there will never be anything listed on Ebay that was taken from this honorable ship, now artificial reef.

Jeez that takes a lotta balz! I'd probably feel guilty if I saw a loose screw on the floor and stuffed it in my BC during a dive on it!

fire_diver:
And simply because the fed gov't decides it can change the boundaries and claim new things, doesn't mean a state can.

Come on, I know we got some lawyers on this site, any opining as to case law or precendent for this?

FD

basically, the Oriskany was sunk as part of Florida's Artificial Reef Program, which is managed by the state. i am sure that somewhere in their charter, they are allowed to create and manage artificial reefs in state and federal waters, and probably even outside of Florida or US territorial waters. if they create it, they manage it.

so, basically, they manage the Oriskany and they get to make up the rules

I don't think the person taking the item intended to sell it on E-bay. I think he wanted it for his "collection" so he could brag about it and show off the item he took.

I find it ironic that in his post on SE-Techdiver that he complained that the phone he 'took' had already had someone else take the handset and that it was not a 'complete item' and that he would have to look further in the ship for a better one.

mike_s:
I don't think the person taking the item intended to sell it on E-bay. I think he wanted it for his "collection" so he could brag about it and show off the item he took.

I find it ironic that in his post on SE-Techdiver that he complained that the phone he 'took' had already had someone else take the handset and that it was not a 'complete item' and that he would have to look further in the ship for a better one.
That is pretty ironic, but I'm sure the irony would be lost on him. I finally read the original post and it is so funny how he accuses someone else of "absconding" with the phone. Hello? What was he doing?

the flower gardens out of texas are 100 miles out and are still a national sanctuary. i don't know if they have the authority to do that but they "went and done it."

PerroneFord:
At least I now understand why the NE Wreck divers love those 100# bungie wings. Hammers, chisels, and hacksaws are pretty negative.

Just curious--how do you feel about removing things from actual wrecks (as opposed to an artifical reef--and a US carrier at that)?

PerroneFord:
At least I now understand why the NE Wreck divers love those 100# bungie wings. Hammers, chisels, and hacksaws are pretty negative.

SparticleBrane:
Just curious--how do you feel about removing things from actual wrecks (as opposed to an artifical reef--and a US carrier at that)?

I don't think PerroneFord was condoning this activity. He's stated in this thread that that he was against it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom