Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At least now I know who took it...When I took my guests down for a guided dive, the console was one of the items I'd show them. It gave you a little insight into the view of what the men could see as they worked in the helm. Now,thanks to this knucklehead, it's all a memory.

The wreck is now the property of FWC. And as I understand it, it doesn't matter whether its in interntational waters or not. Just because of his admission, he could face charges. So maybe you can't fix stupid, but you can sure lock it up.

My question is why would a captain condone that kind of crap, and then why would you want to dive with that kind of operation?

PerroneFord:
Mike, I assume you saw my quote on that list the same day. I unsubscribed from that list as soon as I found out the behavior was condoned. I have no desire to be associated with that kind of behavior.

Perrone,

they must have deleted the message because it's not there anymore. I just went and looked in their archinve for it. Pretty cheezy if they deleted it.

(either that ir it self deleted when you removed your name from the list).

mike_s:
Perrone,

they must have deleted the message because it's not there anymore. I just went and looked in their archinve for it. Pretty cheezy if they deleted it.

(either that ir it self deleted when you removed your name from the list).

Basically, when the guy posted about "salvaging" something off the wreck, I asked, "What do you mean salvaged?" The reply was that something was removed. I wrote back, "Well I guess I better go dive it before you guys bring it up a piece at a time."

Then I unsubscribed.

At least I now understand why the NE Wreck divers love those 100# bungie wings. Hammers, chisels, and hacksaws are pretty negative.

I just sent an email with a link of the posting, along with a copy of it to a friend of mine, Chief of Marine Resources --one of the guys responsible for scuttling the Oriskany. I'll keep you posted.

mike_s:
no... it was not removed as part of a comissioned salvage op.

the ship was sunk May 17th as an artificial reef off the coast of Pensacola. It spent many many months in port being readied for sinking, removing anything that could be any hazzard to the environment. Basically it was stripped before sinking.

Sounds like he basically had to "rip/beat" a few items off. It also sounds like from the below that the charter captian was somewhat involved and gave direction on how to get some items and condoned it.

While taking one small item might not seem like much, I'm envisioning diving the ship in a few years and seeing wiring hanging everwhere out of holes left from where people have torn everything they can get their hands on with a pry-bar and ripped it out of the ship....

Here is the post that describes what the person took off the oriskany. I went back and found it. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/techdiver-SE/message/4515

When my wife and I dove the Oriskany we went with Viking diving, Tim Thorsen and his Daughter, Brittany. We really liked Tim and his Daugher and the whole experience of diving with them. After the first dive Tim asked me if I'd seen the chrome plated telephone in the small room on the back side of the control room and I said no. On the next dive he took us there so we could see it. That was kind of cool you know.

It really disappoints me that Tim would suggest to a low-life scavenger that he take the phone. It's actually hard to believe he would suggest it. The guy is probably telling a bald face lie. Low-life's do that you know.

Either way, I think scavengers like that are real low life's and deserve jail if caught.

Oriskany Divemaster:
I just sent an email with a link of the posting, along with a copy of it to a friend of mine, Robert Turpin, Chief of Marine Resources for Escambia County--one of the guys responsible for scuttling the Oriskany. I'll keep you posted.

Good job DM. I hope they take some sort of action.

Don Janni:
When my wife and I dove the Oriskany we went with Viking diving, Tim Thorsen and his Daughter, Brittany. We really liked Tim and his Daugher and the whole experience of diving with them. After the first dive Tim asked me if I'd seen the chrome plated telephone in the small room on the back side of the control room and I said no. On the next dive he took us there so we could see it. That was kind of cool you know.

It really disappoints me that Tim would suggest to a low-life scavenger that he take the phone. It's actually hard to believe he would suggest it. The guy is probably telling a bald face lie. Low-life's do that you know.

Either way, I think scavengers like that are real low life's and deserve jail if caught.

It appears that Tim gave the same directions to you and the savenger.

I don't know any of these folks and really didn't mean to start a mess. I just am afraid that if people keep taking stuff "by force" that we'll go dive the ship one day and every panel, gauge, phone, bracket, hinge, nut and bolt will be gone, with nothing but holes left with wires hanging down were someone "tore" the items out of it.

I'm sure that the former crew members of the USS Oriskany would be appalled to learn this to be the fate of "their ship".

Don Janni:

How do I get to that room? I'll check for it Friday if the depth and penetration is reasonable and fits inside my plan.

Oriskany Divemaster:
At least now I know who took it...When I took my guests down for a guided dive, the console was one of the items I'd show them. It gave you a little insight into the view of what the men could see as they worked in the helm. Now,thanks to this knucklehead, it's all a memory.

The wreck is now the property of FWC. And as I understand it, it doesn't matter whether its in interntational waters or not. Just because of his admission, he could face charges. So maybe you can't fix stupid, but you can sure lock it up.

My question is why would a captain condone that kind of crap, and then why would you want to dive with that kind of operation?

We all (I think) agree that the removal of items from the "O" was wrong. However, I am still confused on the legalities. How can a state agency claim ownership and legal enforcement of anything that lies outside of state boundaries?

FD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom