Removing items from the USS Oriskany (interesting dilemma)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ya, this needs to be reported. Maybe start with the Coast Guard.

H2Andy:
mike, can you link to the page that states removing stuff from the Oriskany is against the law? (just curious)

basically, as stated by others, right there is the end of the issue for me

http://myfwc.com/marine/ar/OriskanyReefDive.htm

Look in the last paragraph before the coordindates.

The Oriskany is an old US aircraft carrier dropped as an artifical reef a couple months back off the coast of Florida near Pensacola.

I think you're always going to find people taking things from wrecks regardless if it's legal or not. Just look at all the shows on tv and cable where the divers are coming back with items from the wrecks. While some are legitimite salvage/historical preservation efforts, some are not.

So what I'm really lost on is why it is MORE stupid to talk about it in a public forum, unless you were the one taking the items. Guess I must be too stupid to understand.

Scububbs:
Even setting aside the legalities for now, what those morons did was bad dive etiquette, and the only thing more stupid than taking those items was writing about it on a public forum.
From the information provided it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what charter was encouraging this nonsense.

I've got to heartily concur with this. After perusing the cited ordinances and realizing that at 20 miles from shore, they might NOT have actually broken any laws. I don't believe that the Oriskany, though steeped in history, is considered an historical artifact of archeological importance.

It's a case of inconsiderate moronic buffonery and, unfortuanately, that ain't against the law. Too bad. No, what the charter and the divers have done is taken some cool lookin' items so that I don't get to see them when I dive there. Neither do you. Too bad.

well...

taking a dish or glass found in the sand/silt is one thing, but having to use a "mallet" to "beat" an item off the wall or to "hacksaw" off a set of gauges, to me is detroying the wreck.

If everyone took something, the thing would look like a trashed wreck in no time....

Like the above poster said, taking these items also keeps other divers to get a chance to see them when they dive there too.

Scububbs:
Even setting aside the legalities for now, what those morons did was bad dive etiquette, and the only thing more stupid than taking those items was writing about it on a public forum.
From the information provided it shouldn't be too hard to figure out what charter was encouraging this nonsense.

Actually, not hard to figure out at all. The guy who posted it named the Captain and the Charter Vessel company in his post.... But the Captain isn't the one who did it... the diver did, even though the Captain told him where/how to find his "next treasure". The Captain bears some responsibility for allowing/encouraging it to happen on his boat as he's responsible for actions happening on his boat. But the diver bears responsibility also.

Hands down, it was poor judgement and dive etiquette on both the parts of the divers and the boat captain. It just goes to show you that there are #**holes in every sport. Now we know of a few more in ours. If it is outside of territorial waters there is still something that can be done.

Anybody diving in that area could make sure to steer clear of and steer their friends clear of

Capt. Tim and Britany of Viking diving out of Pensacola. Heck, if I lived in that area I would go to their operation and ask them if they are that dive op that condones looting wrecks. I would do it in front of people in their shop to.

People take things from the NC wrecks all the time. When I dove there, I was quite surprised by that. I am so used to not touching anything that trying to look for stuff to take went completely against my training.
But maybe NC is different because those ships weren't sunk as reefs.

Scububbs:

You have hit the nail right on the head! If you do break the law you should't be talking about in a PUBLIC forum! This should fall under a "stupid human law", like the one we have in AZ.

I agree. I would report them for just being so stupid, let alone stealing.

I wonder if stupid makes a good defense? :wink:

Show you disapproval with your charter fees! There are several good charter boats that RESPECT the value to all of us. I've dove the "O" 10 times and can tell you that this behavior is not typical of the divers in the area. I can't wait until Oriskany Dive Master Eric sees this post. Where are you buddy? What do you think? DM Eric knows everyone in Pcola. Is Captain Tim local? I haven't heard of them but I guarantee I won't be giving them any of my money or stepping a foot on the Viking.

Maybe there is a whole diving subculture that routinely follows fresh sinkings and treats them all like an Easter egg hunt.

First come, first served.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom