removing indelible ink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lhpdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Just picked up 2 almost new PST E7-100s ($199 each :) ). Any suggestions on removing previous owner's name ? Thanks

Sandpaper? Paint remover? Someone with metalergy knowledge would have to explain any difficulties with using those.

Indelible usually just means won't wash out, not that it's bomb proof. Before I started sanding or removing the paint I'd try the usual solvents, starting (cautiously) with the gentler ones like toluol or high proof (needle grade or solvent) alcohol, and maybe if they didn't work, MEK or acetone.

In my experience toluol and alcohol usually work fine on Sharpie ink, though it depends on what it is on.

Quarrior:
Sandpaper? Paint remover? Someone with metalergy knowledge would have to explain any difficulties with using those.

UV rays will often do the job quite nicely and will fade the ink to nothing over time. The down side is that you'll have to leave it in the sunshine for about 6 months to get an effective job.

lal7176:
I have had pretty good luck using a pencil eraser to remove permanent marker on galvanized tanks.

Well I now (due to your suggestion) share your luck. Thanks.

lal7176:
I have had pretty good luck using a pencil eraser to remove permanent marker on galvanized tanks.
I'll have to try this too - I was just going to leave the name on till I sold mine to someone else in a couple of years (so they'd have 2 names to remove lol)

NetDoc:
Two words:

ScubaBoard Stickers! :D
LOL!!! I already got them on my tanks. . . but they won't fit on the round neck part where the name is at. . .

Got 2 tanks in Hydro - as soon as they come back and my order of new SB stickers arrives I'll put them on . . . maybe just plaster the whole tank in sb stickers - better than painting it right?

btw - any chance of getting stickers that won't rub off when wet? (plasticized maybe?)

Aloha, Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom