Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Where I dive it is expected for the group to descend together unless the divemaster says different.

Perhaps where you dive, that makes perfect sense in every regard.

"And we all know it's bunk especially when he puts his wet-suit on backwards."

I did try to put on my hooded vest backwards once... No way to say that it was my special way of wearing....

Another mentioned not bringing "extra weight" of a mesh gear bag. When traveling, we always include a mesh gear bag, ($25-50)in addition to our regular travel bag. It's so handy on all boats for that final trip from either the car or hotel room to the boat and it eaisly stores out of the way.

A mesh bag takes so little room in your main bag when travelling and it's definitely the best way to bring gear on a boat.

Something I've noticed recently and I mentioned it to the diver at the time, is sitting next to the ladder eating or drinking whilst people are getting back on board.

If you're not helping the divers in the water to get back on the boat please sit on the opposite side of the ladder if the ladder is on the side of the boat.

I usually have four items to pass up before boarding:

DSMB
Camera
Stage / Pony
Fins

My post from long ago- post number 77.

When My wife and I last visited Cozumel aka "Coz" we were in the senor bracket -- now we are in the antique category
A snippet from an event of long ago

"My wife Betty and I last visited Cozumel about 40 Plus years ago...It was becoming too commercial and too crowded even at that early date for us-- we always attempted to remain ahead of the wave of dive locations popularity.

We had a great time with two Bonne Terre mine guides so many years ago. They had never dove open water, but were very comfortable in the salt water open ocean and for some unknown reason perhaps by natural selection we buddied up with them for most of the week.

The word had got out among the staff and other vacation divers that we were not typical Cozumel vacation divers

On the very last day of our visit we had made several dives and were underway to the second and last shallow dive site of our week long vacation.

I speak Spanish and had been speaking "Spanlish" all week with the crew. I inquired in Spanish as to how long to the next dive site ? Their reply in Spanish "45 minutes."

I returned to my seat along the gunnels informed my wife and our week long buddies buddies that we had 45 minutes to relax

Then I said what the heck
? Why not ?

So I said " You are from the Missouri the 'Show Me State' -(As is the OP)
I will show you-- Pull out your dive bags start fiddling with your equipment" which they did. Soon the entre boat of divers were pulling out there dive bags, preparing their equipment and putting on their wet suits

As soon as every one was fully prepared to dive we shoved out bags under the seat and resumed out conversations for another 40 or so minutes to we arrived at the last dive site.

Some started chuckling that they had been had others were so hot the deck was steaming .

At the end of the dive and our vacations the Missourians insisted that it would be their honor to carry our equipment to our room for packing - Who could refuse that offer ?

We will never forget those two Missourians from Bonne Terre and the fun we had !"

the message is clear --Never trust an old diving couple

sdm

It is usually OK to descend and mess around under the boat while waiting for the group to get together and descend, especially if you let the DM know ahead of time. I get 5-10 min extra dive time by doing so and often see great stuff.

Yup same here often the DM will let advanced divers off the boat first and we descend and let the DM and other divers join us later on.

Or, you tell the DM what you are going to do
The only time I could see this not working well is if everyone needs to do a negative entry for a swift current. Otherwise, why not use the time while others are putzing on the boat? (Assuming the boat knows your plan and has no objections).

How about Masking up? before and after a dive....................
Actually I and most of Nova Scotia do agree.

A mesh bag takes so little room in your main bag when travelling and it's definitely the best way to bring gear on a boat.

Something I've noticed recently and I mentioned it to the diver at the time, is sitting next to the ladder eating or drinking whilst people are getting back on board.

If you're not helping the divers in the water to get back on the boat please sit on the opposite side of the ladder if the ladder is on the side of the boat.

I usually have four items to pass up before boarding:

DSMB
Camera
Stage / Pony
Fins
I haven't been on a boat in 6 years, but back then I always used a mesh bag for my weights only and a hockey bag for everything else. Don't want the weights damaging any other stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom