Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And when it's time to get in the water, be ready :)
Yes. Good advice. In my experience the boat crews tend to push people to get them in the water at a fairly fast pace. They've done this a zillion times and they're on a schedule. If it's a morning dive they want to get back, unload the empty tanks, bring full tanks on board and get the boat ready for the afternoon charter. By all means don't be rushed into skipping important equipment checks but if you're having trouble ask for help right away. First, you're paying for that service. Second, if it's a group dive everyone will be waiting on the surface for you to get into the water and the DM is not going to like that. So, use 'em but don't abuse 'em.

If someone is slow off the boat because of inexperience or because of a problem I don't mind. But some people are slow because they just don't care that people are waiting on them. These people are always the last off the boat. We've all seen them.

If someone is slow off the boat because of inexperience or because of a problem I don't mind. But some people are slow because they just don't care that people are waiting on them. These people are always the last off the boat. We've all seen them.
Right. I recall as a beginner thinking wow, now that we are close to the dive site everyone seems to be going at warp speed gearing up. That was because I had to think a bit more about what I was doing and in what order and they didn't.

It is usually OK to descend and mess around under the boat while waiting for the group to get together and descend, especially if you let the DM know ahead of time. I get 5-10 min extra dive time by doing so and often see great stuff.

Easy way to avoid a lot of drama is dive private boats or smaller charters. Last thing I want to do is drop on any site with a lot of people I met on a dock an hour ago. Or a lot of people. Or with people I don't know. Made lifetime friends diving off each other's boats or on a small charter.

It is usually OK to descend and mess around under the boat while waiting for the group to get together and descend, especially if you let the DM know ahead of time. I get 5-10 min extra dive time by doing so and often see great stuff.

I once had a guide lose his chit over this behaviour of mine. He later accosted me at dinner with friends (one was an instructor from same shop as the guide). He said I was an accident waiting to happen. I suggested that he needed some more experience out in the real world

Hey, he's not totally wrong, I suppose. Scubadada and I could eventually have some sort of strange accident based on our wait for the other divers.

I once had a guide lose his chit over this behaviour of mine. He later accosted me at dinner with friends (one was an instructor from same shop as the guide). He said I was an accident waiting to happen. I suggested that he needed some more experience out in the real world

Hey, he's not totally wrong, I suppose. Scubadada and I could eventually have some sort of strange accident based on our wait for the other divers.
I don't think so, other than dying of boredom.

Where I dive it is expected for the group to descend together unless the divemaster says different.

Back
Top Bottom