Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why don’t you want to tip for services rendered?!?
It’s a basic understand and being a good person. Do you not tip in restaurants?

I don't get a tip for doing my job. Do you tip your child's school teacher? do you tip a priest when you go to confession?
Do you tip the cashier at the gas station? Tipping is a gratuity and not something that should be expected for just doing your job.

When I dive in the Philippines I buy a whole pig and do a BBQ & Chickens and Fish for all the staff in the dive center at the end of my vacation and they bring their spouses and children along for a feast. They also can take home what is left over.

That way we all have a good feast. Don't need to tip with cash everywhere. In Bali where you get an individual who carries all your gear you tip them. I don't tip in Australia as that is not asked for as you are charged so muchand tipping in Japan is considered an insult.

BBQ BOAR.jpg

Regardless of ones individual circumstance ( I don’t receive tips fwiw), if it is customary, and I get good friendly service. I tip the standard amount. In Mexico, about $10 per two tank trip. If my gear is cared for overnight or I, or someone in my group gets personal help etc., or better yet, I admire the captain or divemaster and enjoy their hospitality, I’ll happily give more. I also tip about $5 day to housekeeping at the hotel and 20%+ if I get good service at restaurants. If I like a server While on vacation, I’ll be extra generous and learn their name, and request their table on future visits if possible.

It can make a difference. When the restaurant/ bar is very busy, and the non generous tippers are not seated yet and have empty glasses and long faces, my party will usually be enjoying attentive preferencial service.

I don’t go on vacation to save money, I go for enjoyment and will never miss the $200 or whatever gratuities I pay.

I’m at home with the fun people, not the cheap a$$es.

Partly my fault, but please let's not rehash all the ideas about tipping yet again.

Partly my fault, but please let's not rehash all the ideas about tipping yet again.
But I wanted to see a spiraling pile of warm mess of people arguing about cultural differences, religion, politics and rationalizations.

I guess we'll all just have hope everyone treats the crew as is locally customary like any decent human would without having to be cajoled.

At least on land, I recently read that it takes 2 years for a banana peel to break down. The advice was not to litter trails with them, lest they invite more littering, even though they're biodegradable.
Not on Bonaire. The various kinds of lizards fight over them and they're gone in minutes.

But I wanted to see a spiraling pile of warm mess of people arguing about cultural differences, religion, politics and rationalizations.

I guess we'll all just have hope everyone treats the crew as is locally customary like any decent human would without having to be cajoled.
I hear ya.

Geesh! These are our customers you're talking about!

So what if people talk about their other dives? Different people react to anxiety differently. I prefer to see them in their natural state, the better to get a read on them before they dive. Besides, I've never seen a diver as bad as a bad baseball parent--and as a high school umpire, I've seen plenty of the latter. There's a huge difference between anxious and hostile.

Fancy gear? They have that gear because someone talked them into buying it. Don't blame therm.

Bananas? Question the professional judgment of any boat crew that attempts to enforce the banana ban."You're asking me to respect your skills, yet you yammer on about phony folklore?"

Peels and rinds? Don't ask to throw them overboard. Use the trash can: its location should have been pointed out in that brief. Doesn't matter how quickly it breaks down: don't put non-ocean stuff in the ocean.

Amen to Scubadada's point about assembling/checking your gear as soon as possible! The faster you get your gear together and make yourself small so others can follow your good example, the sooner the boat can depart.

Single-use paper is better than single-use plastic. Reusable is better than either.
sadly I have to agree , with the exception of fancy gear, many people can afford it, and it often works just as good as 90% of the cheapo stuff I see everywhere.

..... banana and orange peelings going into the ocean
Never, ever, ever, ever bring bananas on a boat. :) No, seriously....the only exception is.....never.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom