Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimela

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Over the past year the boats we've been on have been at about half (or less) capacity, allowing lots of room to spread out while getting our stuff together on boats. On our last trip the boats were beginning to fill up again, and too many folks weren't observing basic boat etiquette. So I thought it might be worthwhile to remind seasoned divers - and new ones - about what helps make the boat diving experience as fun and hassle free as possible.

I'll start - and hope others will chime in with their thoughts.
  • Before getting on the boat make sure you have the permission of the captain/crew. They have a lot of things to set up before divers board - you don't want to be in the way.
  • If you bring a big gear bag please don't leave it in the middle of the boat for others to walk over/around. Unload it and stow it right away.
  • Don't leave your fins in the middle of the boat - store them under your seat until time to don them.
  • Don't put your mask in the camera bucket. Something about the defog and cameras doesn't mix well.
  • Try to stay within your two-tank area while getting your stuff together.
  • Try to make sure there is a tank between your BC and the next diver's tank with a BC on it.
  • Don't throw anything into the ocean - even if it's peeling from an orange - without first asking the dive crew if it's ok. Some seem to be ok with banana and orange peelings going into the ocean - others not - go with your boat crew recommendation.
  • Be quiet during the dive briefing. It may be your 50th dive with the op and you know all the stuff they're saying, but new folks need the info and it's just respectful.
  • Before you reach to zip a stranger's wetsuit or help with their BC, ask if they'd like help. You never know when the person might just NOT want help (for a variety of reasons).
  • After your dive, as more divers are coming out of the water, stay aware and get out of their way so they can get to their spot to sit back down. Those few steps to the bench, with a tank on your back, can be precarious. This is a safety issue.
  • Watch your NDL. Don't be the diver who has to be sent back down because their computer is beeping (erm - that was me once when I was wearing two computers with different algorithms - very embarrassing and probably not fun for the folks waiting on my arse while on the boat).
  • Tip well.
Can't wait to see what's added. :)

Those big rigid rolling gear bags are for airplane travel. They do NOT belong on the boat. You need a mesh bag for the boat. If you’re too cheap to spring for a mesh or other soft sided bag for the boat, you shouldn’t be diving.

Don’t bring a banana on the boat. Some captains don’t like it.

If you spit in your mask, don’t rinse it in the communal bucket.

Bring a water bottle on the boat. Saves tons of disposable paper cups.

Don't be the "talker". You know, the dude (it's typically a guy) who is nervous but doesn't want to show it. He just yacks on and on about where he's dived, in what conditions, how deep, what he's seen, etc, etc. And we all know it's bunk especially when he puts his wetsuit on backwards.

If you're nervous, it's OK! If you've not dived in 3 years, it's OK! Don't blow smoke, just be you.

Don’t bring a banana on the boat. Some captains don’t like it.

If you spit in your mask, don’t rinse it in the communal bucket.

Bring a water bottle on the boat. Saves tons of disposable paper cups.
What's the issue with a banana? Also, if you bring a water bottle on the boat, make it a reusable bottle or you have not really solved anything.

• If you bring a big gear bag please don't leave it in the middle of the boat for others to walk over/around. Unload it and stow it right away.

How else am I supposed to assert my dominance

Those big rigid rolling gear bags are for airplane travel. They do NOT belong on the boat. You need a mesh bag for the boat. If you’re too cheap to spring for a mesh or other soft sided bag for the boat, you shouldn’t be diving.

Thats a very polarized and adamant view point. Not sure another diver's opinion, especially about baggage, should be the determination of whether one is suitable to be diving..if opinions were the determiining factor I am sure some of us would be looking for another activiity to engage in.

If there is a question about bag size on a dive boat, the captain and crew should be the ones to address it. If it bothers you as a diver then charter a private boat or purchase your own boat.

-Z

Set up your gear as soon as possible to make sure you have everything. If you rent tanks, make sure they are reliably analyzed and check your fill pressures. You may pick up a bad O-ring at this time also. All of these problems may be taken care of if discovered early, before leaving the dock.

I recently failed to follow my own advice and ended up with a second tank filled to 1740 psi. I had done about 250 dives with this operator and had never had a short fill. Before anyone mentions my end pressure, this was a shallow drift dive with free access to the surface and I had the flag. Forty three minutes was short enough :)

upload_2021-6-9_13-5-50.png

You shouldn't be using a mask bucket any longer.

Tubs that are too big to fit under the seat are just as bad a the big rollers. If there is a reasonable storage area, this may not be a problem.

Consider bringing a reusable container for your water rather than using disposable cups. I see that @tridacna beat to this one

Plan for the weather, rain coat, jacket, and/or boat coat can make your trip much more comfortable. I have loaned out extras many times and made new friends

If you are prone to seasickness, premedicate with something effective for you. It will make your trip better and others will also appreciate it.

If the boat has a dive time limit, comply with it. I use several operators with a general time limit of an hour. I'm often first in and last back with a run time of 65-70 min. The captains know this and are OK with it. I would not do this with an operator who does not know me and I use some boats that cut no leeway for anybody.

If you would like to dive solo, make sure the operator allows it and know specifically what their requirements are.

Consider taking a reasonable save a dive kit/tools. You may occasionally need it yourself, it is another good way to make new friends. I have a small Pelican case in the bottom of my backpack, rarely sees the light of day.

There are probably a few more things I can't think of now. Good diving to everyone :D

Back
Top Bottom