Reminder of boat etiquette as we emerge from covid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Don't be the "talker". You know, the dude (it's typically a guy) who is nervous but doesn't want to show it. He just yacks on and on about where he's dived, in what conditions, how deep, what he's seen, etc, etc. And we all know it's bunk especially when he puts his wetsuit on backwards.

If you're nervous, it's OK! If you've not dived in 3 years, it's OK! Don't blow smoke, just be you.

Yup. That was me. I'd like to think I've redeemed myself over the years. I'll have to ask.

1. Remember in 2020 we added Covid to the list of topics not to bring up in casual conversations along with politics and religion.
2. Very few people will be put off by the diver who brings extra snacks. Oreos, fig newtons, Biscoff and a few more come in snack size packs.

Don't be the "talker". You know, the dude (it's typically a guy).
Oh, please, it's not typically a guy. It's ALWAYS a guy. Usually in his mid-40s, white, balding, overweight, out of shape, thinks he's hot sh!t (maybe a partner at his law firm), has a couple of sons who are chips off the old block and he's proud as hell and trying to relive his best moments through their baseball career. I think I'm actually describing a couple of guys I dove with on consecutive days a few years ago.
What's the issue with a banana? Also, if you bring a water bottle on the boat, make it a reusable bottle or you have not really solved anything.
Lot's of old, bad superstitions: No Bananas on Board: Behind the Superstition. My favorite Cozumel op always has bananas on her boat and Mexican bananas are way better than what we get in the US.

Oh, please, it's not typically a guy. It's ALWAYS a guy. Usually in his mid-40s, white, balding, overweight, out of shape, thinks he's hot sh!t (maybe a partner at his law firm), has a couple of sons who are chips off the old block and he's proud as hell and trying to relive his best moments through their baseball career. I think I'm actually describing a couple of guys I dove with on consecutive days a few years ago.

You forgot to mention the goatee, green camo wetsuit, and paralenz. oh man, I haven't been this judgemental in days.

What's the issue with a banana?

At least on land, I recently read that it takes 2 years for a banana peel to break down. The advice was not to litter trails with them, lest they invite more littering, even though they're biodegradable.

You forgot to mention the goatee, green camo wetsuit, and paralenz. oh man, I haven't been this judgemental in days.

Add the Atomics Titanium regulator, Suunto Steel, Scubapro Black BCD etc etc

Add the Atomics Titanium regulator, Suunto Steel, Scubapro Black BCD etc etc
He also has 9 dives and PADI AOW, and lets everyone know that he's super experienced and can go deep.

Now I'm definitely describing that one guy...

Geesh! These are our customers you're talking about!

So what if people talk about their other dives? Different people react to anxiety differently. I prefer to see them in their natural state, the better to get a read on them before they dive. Besides, I've never seen a diver as bad as a bad baseball parent--and as a high school umpire, I've seen plenty of the latter. There's a huge difference between anxious and hostile.

Fancy gear? They have that gear because someone talked them into buying it. Don't blame therm.

Bananas? Question the professional judgment of any boat crew that attempts to enforce the banana ban."You're asking me to respect your skills, yet you yammer on about phony folklore?"

Peels and rinds? Don't ask to throw them overboard. Use the trash can: its location should have been pointed out in that brief. Doesn't matter how quickly it breaks down: don't put non-ocean stuff in the ocean.

Amen to Scubadada's point about assembling/checking your gear as soon as possible! The faster you get your gear together and make yourself small so others can follow your good example, the sooner the boat can depart.

Single-use paper is better than single-use plastic. Reusable is better than either.

Geesh! These are our customers you're talking about!

So what if people talk about their other dives? Different people react to anxiety differently. I prefer to see them in their natural state, the better to get a read on them before they dive. Besides, I've never seen a diver as bad as a bad baseball parent--and as a high school umpire, I've seen plenty of the latter. There's a huge difference between anxious and hostile.

Fancy gear? They have that gear because someone talked them into buying it. Don't blame therm.

Bananas? Question the professional judgment of any boat crew that attempts to enforce the banana ban."You're asking me to respect your skills, yet you yammer on about phony folklore?"

Peels and rinds? Don't ask to throw them overboard. Use the trash can: its location should have been pointed out in that brief. Doesn't matter how quickly it breaks down: don't put non-ocean stuff in the ocean.

Amen to Scubadada's point about assembling/checking your gear as soon as possible! The faster you get your gear together and make yourself small so others can follow your good example, the sooner the boat can depart.

Single-use paper is better than single-use plastic. Reusable is better than either.

Maybe your customers but not ours. We paid for the charter just like he did. We'll sit him next to you. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom