Remembering My Dad - Gerry Green

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J_Green

Registered
Reaction score
I am posting this tonight because I won't have much time to tomorrow. It was a year ago, May 19th, 2012 that my father and I went scuba diving out at Alhambra and he drown while we were on our way back to the beach. It was ruled an accidental drowning. After investigating everything it is still not clear what exactly happened. We believe he had a heart attack possibly after over exerting himself going back after something he dropped on the swim in. We never got all of his things back.

So much has happened since that day. My baby girl began to crawl for the first time after we got home from the hospital that night. 2 weeks later my wife and I found out we were having another child, this time a son(whom we named Jedi :) - yes you read that right). He looks so much like my father, he reminds me of him every day.

My father taught me how to dive, and encouraged me to explore the world from a young age. Some of my fondest memories of my father are times we went diving or fishing, hiking or fossil hunting. He was a great supporter of mine. I coach pole vaulters for track at Charlotte High School. My father came to all the track meets. Just before he died my father had shared a video I had uploaded to facebook of a girl I coach clearing a new personal best and qualifying for the state meet for the first time - finishing 14th. Nearly a year later that same girl came home a state champion.

It is easy to blame myself for my father's death. I wasn't with him when he died. Maybe I could have done something to save him. There are a lot of questions all of us who were there have about the things that happened that day that still haunt us. I try to encourage my mother and my wife who were on the beach not to blame themselves. I try to think of all the things I might have tried to save him that would have proved futile even if I was right next to him.

On the ride up to Venice from Port Charlotte that day I asked my wife if she had packed the camera as I had asked her to. She told me yes and asked me why I wanted to bring the camera, I don't normally. I said, "Because today might be the last time I ever get to dive with my father." I said those words thinking he is getting older and we may not get a lot of opportunities to do this kinda of thing again. I never thought it would be the last picture we have of my father before he died.

My father's burial request was that we cremate him and sprinkle his ashes out at sea. We laid my fathers ashes to rest outside of Boca Grande pass, but I will always take a few moments to say hi as I kick out or kick in, relax and enjoy the good things God has given us and the opportunity to explore them every day.

I found 5 megs that day. They are all now priceless treasures. I also found that day a brotherhood of fellow divers who helped search for my father. Thank you to Jaime and the guys on Aristakat that day, to Dives4LifeSW and to the many others I never got to thank in person. And thanks to Florida West Scuba for being so patient in waiting to get the rental gear back from the medical inspectors. Your efforts helped us to have a semblance of closure and I cannot thank you enough.

Tommorrow afternoon, I will see you out there, rain or shine, to say hi to my dad, take advantage of the good vis, and hopefully bring one home to celebrate my father's life. I love and miss him greatly.

DaddysLastPic600.jpg

Thank you for sharing your story. I hope you find great conditions and lots of megs!

What a wonderful tribute to your Dad! I remember that day very well as I was also diving down at S. Brohard. I am so sorry for your loss but I am glad you got to dive with your Dad.

Thank you for sharing. I will be there at the end of next month and I think reading this is going to add more meaning to every dive I take during that two weeks.

Sorry for your loss. Your Dad is always your Dad. Even after they are "gone", they stay with us in our hearts, minds and memories. Thanks for sharing and remember the good times.

Sorry for your loss and thanks for sharing that story.
As you know Alhambra is about my favourite site, so I will think of him next time I make it down there, and I hope to cross paths with you there again soon.

I am posting this tonight because I won't have much time to tomorrow. It was a year ago, May 19th, 2012 that my father and I went scuba diving out at Alhambra and he drown while we were on our way back to the beach. It was ruled an accidental drowning. After investigating everything it is still not clear what exactly happened. We believe he had a heart attack possibly after over exerting himself going back after something he dropped on the swim in. We never got all of his things back.

So much has happened since that day. My baby girl began to crawl for the first time after we got home from the hospital that night. 2 weeks later my wife and I found out we were having another child, this time a son(whom we named Jedi :) - yes you read that right). He looks so much like my father, he reminds me of him every day.

My father taught me how to dive, and encouraged me to explore the world from a young age. Some of my fondest memories of my father are times we went diving or fishing, hiking or fossil hunting. He was a great supporter of mine. I coach pole vaulters for track at Charlotte High School. My father came to all the track meets. Just before he died my father had shared a video I had uploaded to facebook of a girl I coach clearing a new personal best and qualifying for the state meet for the first time - finishing 14th. Nearly a year later that same girl came home a state champion.

It is easy to blame myself for my father's death. I wasn't with him when he died. Maybe I could have done something to save him. There are a lot of questions all of us who were there have about the things that happened that day that still haunt us. I try to encourage my mother and my wife who were on the beach not to blame themselves. I try to think of all the things I might have tried to save him that would have proved futile even if I was right next to him.

On the ride up to Venice from Port Charlotte that day I asked my wife if she had packed the camera as I had asked her to. She told me yes and asked me why I wanted to bring the camera, I don't normally. I said, "Because today might be the last time I ever get to dive with my father." I said those words thinking he is getting older and we may not get a lot of opportunities to do this kinda of thing again. I never thought it would be the last picture we have of my father before he died.

My father's burial request was that we cremate him and sprinkle his ashes out at sea. We laid my fathers ashes to rest outside of Boca Grande pass, but I will always take a few moments to say hi as I kick out or kick in, relax and enjoy the good things God has given us and the opportunity to explore them every day.

I found 5 megs that day. They are all now priceless treasures. I also found that day a brotherhood of fellow divers who helped search for my father. Thank you to Jaime and the guys on Aristakat that day, to Dives4LifeSW and to the many others I never got to thank in person. And thanks to Florida West Scuba for being so patient in waiting to get the rental gear back from the medical inspectors. Your efforts helped us to have a semblance of closure and I cannot thank you enough.

Tommorrow afternoon, I will see you out there, rain or shine, to say hi to my dad, take advantage of the good vis, and hopefully bring one home to celebrate my father's life. I love and miss him greatly.

View attachment 155160

Amazing is all I can say, I was just talking about this incident a couple days ago I one will never forget your father even though I hadn't met him... I can tell you he is still watching and he lives through you and your family... Maybe he is the one who gave us such awesome weather this week watching over is hunting grounds..... I think I saw you'll out there today diving our diving community is a close group overall ...

Believe it or not my mother still has message on her phone of me contacting her telling her I was out there helping w search(she just played it back to me) ... Thats how much it touched our lives.....

Thank you for sharing J_Green. We have yet to dive Alhambra, but will do so in his honor the next time we get out.

Awesome name for your son, mine is named Anakin, perhaps one day they shall conquer the universe together =) Either that, or dive for some megs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom