Remember your General Maintenance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divin'Papaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Just a reminder to not ignore the General Maintenace on your Shearwater computers. Just like regulators, dive computers should receive periodic maintenance. Shearwater recommends their computers be sent in for what they call General Maintenace every 3-4 years. I choose to send mine in every 4 years. Dive-Tronix has a good summary of the service here: General Maintenance Service - Dive-Tronix

In my opinion the service is both affordable and value-added given the resale market on Shearwaters. I just sent my Peregrine in for maintenance. It was 4 years old last month. For $150, they did the following:
  • Thoroughly tested the computer. The circuit board and functions checked out.
  • They replaced the faceplate, bezel, battery and appropriate o-rings.
  • They also informed me that my computer was eligible for a circuit board upgrade covered by Shearwater at no cost. The circuit board was then also upgraded after I had granted permission.
  • The computer was then tested again and passed all functionality and pressure tests.
  • It is now in the mail back to me with the shipping cost included in the price.
It cost me $20 to ship the computer to them and $150 for the general maintenance with return shipping. So for $170 I have what is essentially a brand new Peregrine. Money well spent IMO.

Thanks for this reminder. My 2018 perdix AI could use some love. How long was the turn around for everything?

Shipping was 3 days each way, but that will be much quicker for you since Dive-Tronix is in Snohomish. They received my Peregrine 8/13 and it shipped back to me yesterday, 8/19. That is pretty typical turn-around time from my past experience as well.

Shipping was 3 days each way, but that will be much quicker for you since Dive-Tronix is in Snohomish.
Don't let relative proximity fool you, our usps here has a way with making a 5 mile trip take a full week lol. Might be worth driving it up there on the scoot.

I did this. There was extensive debate in some thread a while back as to whether such maintenance should be necessary. I get the argument; I mean, it's not like other computer manufacturers are advertising this sort of periodic maintence, and why should a computer not continue working fine for, like, 10 or more years? But still, I did it for my wife's and my Petrels, which were getting elderly.

I did this. There was extensive debate in some thread a while back as to whether such maintenance should be necessary. I get the argument; I mean, it's not like other computer manufacturers are advertising this sort of periodic maintence, and why should a computer not continue working fine for, like, 10 or more years? But still, I did it for my wife's and my Petrels, which were getting elderly.

O-rings and seals degrade over time. Nothing you can do about that. That alone is good enough for me. Also, it is very nice to get a new screen and bezel every 4 years given the beating they take. Shearwater has also always been very generous with upgrades, as with the upgraded circuit board on my Peregrine at no change. IMO it is worth it, but everyone needs to decide for themselves.

O-rings and seals degrade over time.
Over how long a time, though? They're not dynamic o-rings, except the battery compartment o-ring. It's hard to argue against replacing the battery compartment o-ring every few years. But the bezel gasket? On the original Petrel the bezel gasket was underneath the transparent screen cover, so I suppose it could have been susceptible to UV degradation. The upgraded bezel is opaque. Petrel bezel gasket issue aside, I believe there are computers from other manufacturers out there in the wild that people have been using for 20 years without failure. I suppose the argument against this service is that it's an unnecessary cost. For me, the peace of mind I got from this perhaps unnecessary preventive maintenance was worth it.

I can't resist taking the other side of an argument. I'll shut up now.

My screen is scratched to hell so it isn't a bad idea. Who knows, maybe they'll upgrade me to a perdix 2...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom