Relatively new diver - Fins recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you have very small feet, to go with your small stature? That can make a difference in what you can use.

You might consider something like the SeaWing Novas. They're not difficult to kick, and deliver an amazing amount of power. Unlike split fins, you CAN use them for alternative kicks, and they are good stabilizers. They come with a spring type strap (which I think ALL fins should have). The big down side is that they are expensive.

Another fin that has worked well for me, with a small foot pocket for a good-sized blade, is the Dive Rite EXP. They also come with spring straps.

I really like Force Fins. They are expensive brand new, but you can find them used pretty cheap. Very easy to get on, and it feels almost like you're barefoot. Because it uses the large muscles of your legs (upper thigh), you don't get calf cramps or hip strain. Before I tried force fins I tried a couple of traditional fin designs (Mares, Scubapro, etc). After trying force fins, I never looked back. I have a few dive buddies that I loaned extra pairs to and after using them they are sold on them now as well.

The other thing I like about them is they are small, light, easy to walk around with, feel effortless in the water, and our pretty much bulletproof (not literally but you get the idea).

Thanks for the recommendation! yes I have small feet, size 5.5-6. I believe my booties are 5.5. Any fin I get I'm going to definitely need a small. I will look into those! Thank you!

Any other recommendations will be very appreciated! :)

I appreciate it guys and thanks for all the recommendations! I will look into the fins mentioned and check them out...

Any other recommendations will be very appreciated!
icosm14.gif

Thanks for the recommendation! yes I have small feet, size 5.5-6. I believe my booties are 5.5. Any fin I get I'm going to definitely need a small. I will look into those! Thank you!

Any other recommendations will be very appreciated! :)

My gf is a size 5.5 so she wears a size 4 bootie (since most booties are unisex ie: man size 4 = woman size 5.5). She uses the force fin size small (which we got on ebay for $70 shipped - like new condition), but she needs a 2mm sock for it to fit perfectly (won't fit with her 3mm bootie). If you wanted to go barefoot, then a small would probably fit you perfect since your feet are a little larger than hers. If you plan on wearing a bootie all the time, you may need a force fin size medium. Personally I have a pair for barefoot and a pair for my 5mm bootie (since I only paid $30 a pair - used on craigslist).

If at all possible you should try on the fins with booties or barefoot (whichever way you intend to dive them) before buying as many fin sizes fit completely differently. If you decide to go with forcefins they have a sizing chart, but you might be better off calling them up and asking them to recommend sizing based on your intended setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom