Relatively new diver - Fins recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolegirl01

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm a relatively new diver with only 5-6 dives under my belt. I'm in need of new fins. I'm not really worried about price because I rather spend money on with something that is good quality that will last rather than get a cheapy fin and have problems later on…

I'm only 5-1 about 130lbs, my legs aren't the strongest but not the weakest. My husband has the ScubaPro Twin Jet Max and he loves it. I tried it on and swam a little bit with it and they were great but I feel like there are better ones out there, I wasn't 100% sold on them.

I was looking at split fins (Tusa sf-15 x-pert zoom z3, Atomic Aquatics split fins, Mares X-stream) …I just heard that split fins are good in keeping your air consumption low and also won't cause fatigue since they are easier to kick and I've read the forums with all the discussion back and forth so I'm also open to regular fins as well...

I don't want something too hard that I'm struggling and out of breath but I don't want something too soft that I won't even move. I want a little power but still keeping my air consumption low.

I know it's all preference but I wanted to see what you guys think and what you recommend? I just wanted to pick you brains since you guys have more experience than I do and just wanted to see different options!

Thanks guys!
Ana

I found that using a longer stride in the kick helps more than the fin, both for progress and for minimizing effort (and hence conserving air).

Having said that I use Mares Raptor split fins.

I'm a relatively new diver with only 5-6 dives under my belt. I'm in need of new fins. I'm not really worried about price because I rather spend money on with something that is good quality that will last rather than get a cheapy fin and have problems later on…

I'm only 5-1 about 130lbs, my legs aren't the strongest but not the weakest. My husband has the ScubaPro Twin Jet Max and he loves it. I tried it on and swam a little bit with it and they were great but I feel like there are better ones out there, I wasn't 100% sold on them.

I was looking at split fins (Tusa sf-15 x-pert zoom z3, Atomic Aquatics split fins, Mares X-stream) …I just heard that split fins are good in keeping your air consumption low and also won't cause fatigue since they are easier to kick and I've read the forums with all the discussion back and forth so I'm also open to regular fins as well...

I don't want something too hard that I'm struggling and out of breath but I don't want something too soft that I won't even move. I want a little power but still keeping my air consumption low.

I know it's all preference but I wanted to see what you guys think and what you recommend? I just wanted to pick you brains since you guys have more experience than I do and just wanted to see different options!

Thanks guys!
Ana

I really like the Twin Jet Max fins, but I prefer the ones that I use now - ScubaPro Jet Fins. But it's all personal preference. You're on the right path, trying out other fins. If you search on the site, you'll find plenty of heated debates between splits and paddle fins, but to be honest, it's all based on the individual.

Also, you shouldn't be struggling hard while diving with any type of fin. I barely fin during my dives, except against a current.

I use ScubaPro Jet fins after giving up my Atomic split fins. Hard to know about fins looking at the store or online. Try a few. I strongly recommend spring straps particularly if you ever do any shore diving.

With all fins, if you have a good kicking technique and aren't constantly finning in quick short motions, then absolutely no fin should tire you out.

Split fins are great for only a small portions of kicks, whether you have a good kicking technique or a bad one.
They're really specialized for up-down flutter kicks or even bicycle kicks. Other than that if you're trying to do frog kicks, helicopter turns, or back kicks they don't really shine as much.

Some splits are really floppy, requiring you to flutter your legs quickly to make any speed. Since you don't feel any effort, it feels effortless, but you do damage your SAC rate (surface air consumption) w/ all that moving.

The best fins for cruising (moving distances, w/ good pace and little effort) are fins that are stiff enough that you can perform a long sweeping kick followed by a glide period. Legs should be locked, knees fluidly, kicking from your hips.

Some splits can perform up to this, not most though; most are too floppy to provide any useful thrust. Stiff paddles shine in this regard, however their other advantage: Quick bursts of speed, cannot be utilized if you don't have strong finning muscles.

If your husband is a big swimmer and often doesn't sit around one area looking at the small stuff, then you should probably get a pair of stiff splits to be able to keep up without killing your legs. That or you could try to change that habit and get used to spotting the amazing critters in a small patch of reef.
If you're thinking about getting into uw photography you should get a stiff set of paddles, or at least something mildly stiff.

Here's a couple links to a quick generalized fin-type review:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fins-vs-force-fins-vs-blade-normal-fins.html

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...-fin-review-2-0-split-fins-vs-all-others.html

[video=youtube;vNU-7pxGV1U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNU-7pxGV1U[/video]

Give the Scubapro Twin Jet a look.

Twice the power - half the effort!

They are easier to kick than the Twin Jet Max.

Are you looking for new or pre-owned?

for split fins I have atomic splits and tusa xpert zoom, and also have scuba pro jets and aqualung rockets.

I started out using split fins because I heard that they were faster and took less effort. However, I was soon turned on to using the frog kick and split fins are not very good for that. Now that I have become proficient in using the frog kick with jets/rockets, I find this to be much more efficient. It takes only a rotation of the ankle to get moving at a typical pace rather than a whole leg movement. I would still agree that split fins are faster, but I don't agree so much that they are more efficient (at a normal pace).

However, if you are still sold on split fins, then imho, I like my Atomics much better than my Tusas, even though I haven't used either in over a year. I would also recommend that whatever fins you go with, get some spring straps.

Also, thanks for the reminder to get my split fins listed on ebay :)

Look a scubapro seawing novas. Fairly flexible so the fatigue isn't as bad as blades but gives you more power than a split. But the more important thing is getting trim and your finning technique down.

Back
Top Bottom