REI Polartec VS DS Undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello:

I am planning to get into some serious cold water diving and was considering getting warmer undergarments. So far I dive with:

1) underarmor base layer, (cost 20$)

2) Walmart sweat shirt with a warm inner lining (cost 10$) Sometimes I use it sometimes I dont.

3) Heavy Woolen Sweater (Dont know $$$ since it was a gift)

4) A tight outer fleece shirt (On sale from Target for 20 usd)

Total cost = 50 USD

It keeps me warm but bulky. If the same kind of warmth can be achieved with a less bulkier set up I would like to get that. After looking at some of the drysuit undergarments I am not sure what to make of them. In order to dive temperatures below 40 you would have to layer them one on top of the other and the over all bulk you will be carrying may be the same as what I have listed above? No? Instead of buying the over priced under garments, I was wondering if anyone has ever tried REI polarfleece. It is camping/skiing gear but designed to keep you warm while being less bulky. 3-4 layers can be purchased in around 200 USD which is still less than multiple layers of 4th element.

REI Heavyweight Polartec Power Dry Crew Shirt - Men's at REI.com

Arc'teryx Covert Cardigan Fleece Jacket - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

Arc'teryx Covert Cardigan Fleece Jacket - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com

Total Cost = around 350!

Thoughts ...

I use a two piece REI Polartec 100 for with a DUI TLS 350 as an insulating layer. I wear silk underwear as my wicking layer. It keeps me warm between temps 60-75. Anything lower and I use a DUI 250 polartec one piece suit. I got my DUI at their factory outlet site at a considerable discount. You may want to check their website: Factory Outlet list at DUI - Diving Unlimited International.

The BARE undergarments are great as well

That REI HW Crew is the 3rd of 5 layers I wear under a DUI TLS in waters 50 degrees +/- 3. The inner two layers are UA Coldgear and the outer two layers are a polyfill vest and a DUI 400g Thinsulate Ultra jumpsuit. This is on ~2 hour dives. On ~1 hour dives I wear the same, but replace the DUI 400g jumpsuit with a Bare SB Midlayer jumpsuit.

I would loose the Walmart sweat shirt if it has any cotton in at, regardless of the lining. Sooner or layer you D/S will leak and you will find out how nasty cotton is (I did).

For $100, you can get a decent D/S undergarment. Its designed for diving so you have the nice features (finger & foot loops), its cut right so there is less bulk, low collar. It not as nice as the top shelf thinsulate products but better than making do with ski gear (which is too bulky, I tried it cause I had tons of it, it works - just not great). I purchased one of these and its kept me warm down to 42F.

2 LAYERS OF 250G/SQM POLARTEC DRYSUIT UNDERGARMENT -XL BLACK | eBay

For temperate water (~55'F-60'F) I use Patagonia and Arc'teryx fleece undergarments. For anything that's colder you'll benefit from the denser, specialty undergarments. They're (a lot) more expensive, but for real cold and for long dives they're just simply better.

I don't mind wearing the ski gear for dives where I'm likely to work to get into the dive (shore dives or long surface swims). The biggest benefit is in the ~35-45'F range where I dive the Fourth Element Arctics or the DUI equivalent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom