Regulators Decision - TUSA RS-790 or Atomic Z3?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alex_Garland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Greetings,

A big "Thank you!" to everyone who responded to my thread from a few days ago:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/bu...tems/500748-gear-advice-bc-regs-computer.html

I've pretty much decided on my BC (going to go with the ScubaPro Seahawk), but now I'm trying to decide on regs. Coral Edge Adventures where I'll be getting the BC offered me the TUSA RS-790 reg set (with an Oceanic Delta 4, which they said could be switched with the S-90 for the second stage) for around $350 (not including SPG). However, I started reading up on the Atomic Z3, which is carried at Blue Planet (a store closer to me), and am liking what I see, despite the heftier price tag ($530, which doesn't include octo or gauge). One of my diving buddies, who has tons more diving experience than me, said he has an Atomic B2 and loves it, but he had never heard of TUSA. The consensus opinion on this board seems to be that all regs work pretty well and there's no reason to spend big bucks, but I don't know, I'm thinking an extra $300 or so might be worth it for better materials, easier breathing, and a couple other features such as the second stage swivel.

Thoughts?

Atomic has a rep of making very good regs and having very good customer service. But I don't know their product line at all.

You'll get most of the difference back due to the Z3's factory recommended 2 year/300 dive service interval. By the 2nd service you're money ahead. And have 2 years before the next one. Non-contingent so you can leave it sit idle for 5 years if something happens then re-service and continue the warranty. You'll still pay labor costs. Mine run about $80. I have a T2 though and get parts free at my original dealer - I'm pretty sure the kit for my B1 was $27.
2-Year / 300-Dive Service Interval Non-contingent Lifetime Warranty – Dive more and wait longer between recommended servicing. The Lifetime Warranty is not contingent on service.

Another nice feature of the Z3 is the seat saving orifice. Basically what it does is move the seat away from the orifice in the 2nd stage when the reg is depressurized. Most other regs don't have it - which is one reason for their annual service requirement - the constant pressure on the seat sometimes deforms/creases them. Atomic Aquatics Second Stage Regulator Design

Flipside is you either rinse the Z3 pressurized or with the 2nd's held higher than the 1st stage - it's theoretically possible that water could run back down the hose and sit in the 1st stage. Or just rinse it, hook it back up and blow a little air thru the 2nds. Just don't dunk the whole thing at once.

Some of the critical pieces in the Z3 - especially the 2nd stage - are Titanium also. Stronger and lighter. They advertise it as one of the lightest regs in the world. And the swivel is really nice to have - makes hose routing pretty effortless.

I'm somewhat of an Atomic fanboy - have owned two in the last decade. Once I took mine in for service - a couple years or more had gone by - and the tech mentioned when I picked it up that the only reason he changed the parts was because he already had it 1/2 dis-assembled anyway. And showed me a new parts kit vs. mine - except for a little discoloration there really was no visible wear difference.

There's nothing wrong with Tusa - I dive their fins. Personally they wouldn't be my reg choice though. Not exactly sure why, just not one I've ever considered. Two of my local dealers sell both also - neither has recommended Tusa over Atomic. One is honest enough to talk you down from "the best" even if it costs them money.

Last edited:
Atomic is always the right answer unless your specific application requires a diaphragm reg in which case Apeks is the right answer. The Tusa would be perfectly serviceable, but the Z3 is a better reg and AA has the best service/support in the reg business (even given the Huish buyout).

A few things: 1) Coral Edge Adventures is also an Atomic dealer, I would comparison shop. 2) The Atomic Z3 has a 2-year service interval which is the same as Scubapro's. TUSA recommends one year but I see no reason not to follow Scubapro's recommendation because this regulator just a rebranded Scubapro MK-17/S-555 . The Z3 is also more expensive to service because it is packed with lube. See this thread. 3) It doesn't matter if your friend heard of Tusa or not. Tusa has been around since at least the 1980's. Again, the regulator you are considering purchasing is a rebranded Scubapro MK-17/S-555, the only differences are cosmetic.

Oops, I quoted the wrong model. Fixed that above.

Thank you, diversteve and everyone else. I spoke with Coral Edge yesterday and it turns out they have the Atomic Z3 in stock. Since I'm getting a full package with discount, the sticker price difference between the TUSA and the Atomic will be not only way less than I had imagined but pretty much negligible (less than $100). Since I'm not terribly interested in cold water diving, I'm leaning heavily toward the Atomic. The only down side I can see is what ams511 mentioned above, namely that it isn't as well sealed at the first stage as the TUSA and may require higher maintenance costs with lube and all. Plus that rinsing bit that diversteve talked about seems like a drag. I'll have to discuss these details with the dealer.

AMS, Scubapro MK17 would be the rebranded RS790.... Tusa is the OEM for those regulators, Tusa=Tabata USA, and they have been rebranding regulators for a long time for Scubapro and others.

Atomic service will be about $30 over diaphragm service due to the lube cost, there's a thread on that right now actually. Pro to Atomic is it's made in the USA if that matters to you, though if it does I'd consider going to a Dive Rite Transpac or Oxycheq backplate/wing setup over the Nighthawk, much higher quality to boot.

Not sure about the other brands but the atomic has a 2 year service interval and service parts as long as you keep service up to date.

Hi Alex

I recently was in your situation and went with the Z3/Z2 Octo and am quite pleased with the setup. I am a recreational diver and only dive warm water so I elected to get an unsealed first stage which was cheaper to buy and will be cheaper to service without the need for lube.

Post dive, quick rinse the primary and second stage back at the hotel is all that's needed.

One last thing to consider is the first stage is fixed vs the swivel turret on the B2. I found routing the hoses less than ideal. You need to see it setup on a tank to see what I mean and if you are ok with it.

Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom