Regulator vs octo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can get an atomic regulator and a first stage for the price of an atomic octo. Would there be any issues with freeflowing if I use a standard regualtor vs the atomic octo?

In general, no if the second stage regulators are tuned properly for the first stage they will be used with. As many have said and my preference as well is to have both second stage regulators be the same on my rigs. It makes life easier all the way around especially if you have multiple regs.

One reason to buy the same octo is so one dealer can service both. However since your dealer probably services multiple brands there are options.

Most Octo's from all the major brands are interchangeable.

My Atomic dealer is also an Aqualung dealer. So one I particularly like is the Aqualung ABS Octo. $150 list. ABS Octopus
[SNIP]

If you consider a conventional 2nd stage as your octo on a 39" hose, one issue is that when you donate it, the other diver will have to kink the hose to face you with it upside down in his mouth. It just seems like one further complication in what could be an emergency situation.
[SNIP]
I look at an octo as something that's going to get beat up pretty good no matter what you get. And I've never used mine except to try ensure that it still works. So I don't see the value in buying the same as my primary - I don't dive a long hose so will never donate it. If you did, I could see where you might want a better octo.

I consider the ABS one of the worst piece of equipment I ever owned. Yes, it is "pancake" style and small but this is the highlight. It either breathes pretty hard or freeflows; take your pick. Not sure either why I have to put a "kink" in the octo hose for donating a regular octo either. I donate my primary but my wife does not and when I breath from her octo I don't kink the hose. Maybe you read too much Aqualung marketing pamphlets?

I also find your reasoning to only get a good octo when you actually breath it in an emergency questionable at best.

Please explain how you get your wife's octo in your mouth right side up while facing her without twisting the hose substantially - maybe kinking was the wrong word...For purposes of this discussion I wear both 2nds down my right side, gauges and bc inflator down the left. I think that's pretty standard.

Donating the primary is not what I was discussing. We both know how that works.

Someone is buying all those ABS Octo's - including apparently you. So been reading too many Aqualung marketing pamphlets?

Last edited:
I'm a "donate the primary" guy.

The question I asked myself:

"When it turns to mush do I want the 2nd I'll be breathing to be worse than the one I'm donating?"
Exactly same here.

There is indeed a significant difference between a kink in a hose and a slight twist; just try it using tour garden hose sometimes.

As for the ABS. Yup, I did fall for the LDS advise in this csse. I am able to learn from mistakes, however. That does not take away from the fact that the choice of buying a mediocre regulator when it's intended to be donated to an OOG diver but a better one of its intended to be used by you is questionable at best.

Standard primary and octopus hoses are usually slightly different lengths. The octo is generally a bit longer. Beyond that there is no difference (might be different colour plastic but same working parts)

I also know how to buddy breathe if necessary. And still would/could in an emergency. I never even had an octo on my reg the first 15 years of diving.

I only bought one when it became a generally accepted practice supported by the cert. agencies. Around the mid 90's?

Actually my octo is a yellow cover Z1. I happened to dive with a guy a few years ago who had an ABS and it seemed pretty handy. In 25 dives (liveaboard) I never saw it freeflow and all were giant strides.

I'm really going to have to fall back on Aqualung having a full page of octos on their website and likely having sold a lot of them - I can't see how/why they would devote the time/resources to that if no one is buying them. Apeks also sells a "flat" octo called the Egress on the same page. Displaying items by tag: alternate air sources

I consider the ABS one of the worst piece of equipment I ever owned. Yes, it is "pancake" style and small but this is the highlight. It either breathes pretty hard or freeflows; take your pick.

I agree the abs octo breaths too hard.

---------- Post added June 10th, 2015 at 10:33 PM ----------

I'm really going to have to fall back on Aqualung having a full page of octos on their website and likely having sold a lot of them - I can't see how/why they would devote the time/resources to that if no one is buying them. Apeks also sells a "flat" octo called the Egress on the same page. Displaying items by tag: alternate air sources

People do purchase them based on the LDS's recommendation. That does not mean they are a great regulator. Also the Apeks flat octo is balanced the AL is not. Completely different system.

Back
Top Bottom