New Regulator or New Computer

• Regulator

Votes: 72 63.7%
  • Dive Computer

Votes: 41 36.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ordinarily you would plan ahead, but sometimes last minute opportunities come up. If you were sent on a last minute trip for your job, you could end up in a nice location with all available regs reserved. Same for a last minute cruise. That having been said, I have only been on a few trips, and no one had problems finding equipment. But given the right circumstances, it could happen.

Ron

Given the right circumstances, anything is possible but that doesn't mean you should plan for it. Chances are, if it was last minute I wasn't thinking about taking my regulator just-in-case.

I do agree with you that if you had your own regulator you may avoid the problem but then again, what if the operator doesn't have enough BCs or better yet the BCs they have use a different inflator hose than yours? Sure you could solve that by keeping either a converter in your reg bag or keep both style inflator hoses on hand but then we're just preparing for every possible scenario.

I've been with ops who wouldn't swap a hose for a client's, citing liability issues. You're right, it can be an issue.

Same can go for AAS regs that require a special QD. My wife was loaned a Diva with an AIRII when we went to MX.. The rental regs didn't have a QD that would fit it and the op wouldn't swap it out, so she dived a rental jacket. Lugging dive gear on vacation is not a treat, but lugging dive gear that doesn't get used is a pisser.

I agree that some operators will do it for you but I bet that there are an equal number that won't want to mess with it.

I myself wouldn't suggest someone make a purchase of a hose-attached computer with the expectation that every operator will convert rental gear. I do beleive that most reputable operators will do if there is time but there are going to be those times where the operator either doesn't have time/resources or they don't want to mess with their gear.

So, yes you are correct and I applaud your efforts to protect your dive gear and sharing that tip with us.

For me it would depend on your experience level. If you are comfortable handling minor problems that may occur with rental regs; if you find that tables/NDL and not air consumption are limiting your bottom time then I would get the computer first (or learn Nitrox).

If you find that you are running out of air long before bottom time; if you require pristine regs that are super comfortable for you in order to enjoy the dive, then I would go regs first.

That being said, if you're looking at the cost of reg sets, you can usually find some really nice bang-for-buck sets that include a console computer that could be, in the future, mounted to a wrist mount.

VI

I wouldn't even buy a computer. Get a set of good regs and use the leftover money you would have spent on a computer, take a nitrox class, and go dive. A lot.

You will get more bottom time doing this than you will with any super duper computer, plus you'll learn more about tables and deco this way. Your air consumption will go down, experience will go up, you'll meet new people, and have way more fun.

My choice of order is this:

BC - for consistant buoyency control

Exposure Suit - for comfort in water, also help bouyency control

Computer - just safer, more convinicent, have a record of the dive. If not computer, you will need some kind of underwater timer/watch anway, which is not too much cheaper than a computer.

Reg - this is last for a few reasons 1) for beginner, reg performance isn't too important because we are not likely to go too deep. 2) the initual cost of a new reg is a lot more than 1st & 2nd stages. You will need at least Octo, depth gauge and spg if you don't already have a computer. These can easily go above $500 for average reg. 3)cost of ownership of reg is also high. Unless you get Atomic (which will cost a lot more than $500 initially) you are looking to get annual serive and inspection, which can run about $100 for 1st+2x2nd. Overall, for the cost, reg offer the least return for beginner.

If I have to pick between reg and computer, I will go with computer first

First thing I would buy is a computer. A wrist one. Why ?
- You can rent all the rest, but usually not the computer (at least in many countries)
- A computer helps beginners a lot to stay at a given depth, and then helps a lot for maintaining proper buoyancy (it gives a depth reference always available). It helps them a lot for ascending at the right speed, for staying at the same level during the safety stop, and so on. (A drawback is that some people watch too often their computer and don't listen enough to their sensations for buoyancy, but that problem usually vanishes after some practice). A wrist computer takes definately less time to be read than a console, and is less bulky and prone to bump against everything like consoles do.
- Diving with tables quickly sucks because recreational dives are most of the time multilevel dives, that last much longer that can be planned with tables, but are very easy to control with a computer
- If you have no computer you rely on the computer of the diveguide/instructor and in fact you never exactly have the same profile than he or she has. It's safer then (DCS wise) to have your own.
- Entry level computers like Suunto Gekko will serve you well and for several years at about 300 US dollars or less. They do also Nitrox and they offer all you will ever need as a recreational diver.
- A dive computer is light and easy to carry with while traveling.
- Many of them give you the time of the day etc ...

Second item I would buy is the regulator. Why ?
- A regulator is quite personal (though you can bring your own mouthpieces and zip-ties to attach them if you rent your reg)
- Often the regs for rental are not functioning properly. Even when the dive center takes really care of them, the divers often don't, they let the octopus dangling in the sand and so on ... Learn to test a reg from your instructor (this takes 2 minutes and only an air tank and a bucket of water) and do this test with every rental reg. Change the rental reg if necessary until you find one that works properly.
- With more experience you will know better what you want/need as a reg (they are not all the same) and you are more likely to buy one that suits you from your first purchase. Often beginners buy a reg immediately, then have to change for another one.

That is a difficult question for me. My first response would be to hold off and keep saving so you can buy both. Otherwise, if you have to, get the computer first.

The reason for the hesitation is that I believe you should dive with an air-integrated computer. To do that, you need to attach it to the HP port of the first stage. If you only buy the computer, you have nothing to hook it up to (short of always taking apart a rental reg every day/trip.) The advantage of having your own computer are many: It's your logbook. It's easy to learn it once and always know what you are looking at when you are underwater. (The learning curve for a computer is greater than that of using a regulator.) The corollary is also true. When you go to a new location, you don't have to take the time to learn a new computer or its settings.

The nice thing about getting the regulator is that you can replace the mouthpiece with a custom fitted mouthpiece. SO MUCH more comfortable. Besides, you know, like wetsuits, who has spit into it.

Chose the computer assuming you had a reg that could be serviced regularly, what diver doesn't like a new gadget!

I would wait and get both reg and computer. If you don't wan t to wait. Go for the reg. you can use tables or rent a computer. Yes you can rent a reg but you don't know how they have been treated.

Both are important and abvisously you need to know your tables but for me it was my computer that helped the most while learning. Also if you pick a reputable dive center then there equipment should be fine to use but always check the equipment first.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom