New Regulator or New Computer

• Regulator

Votes: 72 63.7%
  • Dive Computer

Votes: 41 36.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Given the right circumstances, anything is possible but that doesn't mean you should plan for it. Chances are, if it was last minute I wasn't thinking about taking my regulator just-in-case.

I do agree with you that if you had your own regulator you may avoid the problem but then again, what if the operator doesn't have enough BCs or better yet the BCs they have use a different inflator hose than yours? Sure you could solve that by keeping either a converter in your reg bag or keep both style inflator hoses on hand but then we're just preparing for every possible scenario.

When ever I go on a trip, I take my scuba gear with me, in case I have a chance to dive. I do try to be prepared for every reasonable contingency. I don't bring tanks and weights, but I bring everything else I would need to dive, just in case I get a chance to dive. I guess if they run out of tanks or weights, I would be out of luck. I'm sure we could keep going back and forth over the what ifs, but I would rather carry my own reg, knowing I'll have a good, well serviced reg to dive with. I've heard too many horror stories about rental regs.

Ron

I voted for the computer. It is easier to track your time and NDL to do longer dives. Especially if you are planning to stay with recreational diving. Once you go to the "dark side" you mostly use time/depth gauge instead. But that is another story.

Good quality regulators can be had for decent money (i.e. HOG 1st stage for $150 or $170 if you go with cold kit and $100 for second stage).

For most divers, a regulator is a generic item. You can swap regulators with anyone on the boat, and it won't make any difference. Yes, you 'need' a regulator to dive - but you also need a tank. I don't know of any dive operation which doesn't rent both - and most of them do a good job on maintenance.

Computers, on the other hand, aren't really mandatory. You just need a depth gauge, a watch, and tables. But unless you already happen to own a very good dive watch, and trust your operators to always provide reliable depth gauges (don't...), it just turns out that buying an entry level computer (basic nitrox, no air integration) will probably be cheaper.

Also computers (when used as computers) aren't swappable. It can be a hassle if you dive two days in a row with different operators.

And finally, computers displays are specific enough it helps to stick to one model.

Therefore: computer first.
(And for the record, my complete order would be fin+mask, computer, wetsuit, BCD, regulator and then tanks).

Obviously, a lot of the arguments above aren't valid if you want air integration - or want a console computer. But I'm not a fan of either, and both practically require owning both regulator and computer anyway.

My suggestion; reg first, that's the only way you can be sure thatit is in good shape and is serviced properly.

I'd personally take the reg. Dive tables freely available, regs not! Someone within your dive team/group will have a DC. Stick with them, or the DM/dive leader.

No single "right" answer here, but for me: Regulator.

I started diving in 1976. I bought my first computer in 2007. It is going to take me many years before I log more computer dives than "table" dives.

Don't get me wrong, I love my new "toy", it is way cool, it allows more bottom time (multilevel dives).... but I can dive without it.

I don't do nearly as well diving without a regulator :wink:

Best wishes.

I'd rent a reg and buy the computer. A reg is basically interchangeable. A dive computer takes a while to figure out. You can use tables but you won't be able to keep up with a buddy using a computer on most multilevel dives.

Adam

I would go with the Reg.

And being that I dive in Northeast and COld waters. I would choose which I have Scubapro MK17/G250V It's a great breathing True Sealed Reg. Or The Atomic M1's Which I also Have They too are sealed but not like the MK17. The M1's 1st stage is environmentally sealed by Packing th chamber with tribolube which acts as an anti-freeze. I have both regs in waters down to 38 with no Problems. If I could only choose one the MK17/G250v Would be it I liked the Idea if it being true sealed also it comes in at a better Price Point. But both are great breathing regs

I'd personally take the reg because I can dive tables without a computer but I can't dive without a reg.

Yes. Also, I found that one of those custom fit molded mouthpieces works great. Can't get that with a rental I imagine. Plus, the reg. is your lifeline and I'd trust mine before a rental.

Back
Top Bottom