Regulator testing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Creed

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a 2250 PSI steel tank I picked up recently. Is there any issue with using it to test a rebuilt regulator? The tests are supposed to be run at 3000psi, but will 750 psi make a difference?

On a balanced regulator it won't make any significant difference.

On an unbalanced diaphragm reg, the IP increases at low tank pressures so again it won't make any difference as it is the low tank pressure that is critcal in setting the maximum IP.

With an unbalanced piston reg however, the IP is at it's maximum at full tank pressure. So if an unbalanced second stage on an unbalanced first stage is tuned for minimum cracking effort with a tank pressure of 2250 psi, it will potentially freeflow if placed on a full 3000 psi tank.

The IP may also potentially be over the allowable range (normally 145 psi.) if the reg is checked at 2250 psi. Unbalanced regs like the Scubapro Mk 3, MK 200 and Mk 2 can have an IP that varies as much as 20-25 psi between 300 and 3000 psi supply pressures.

DA has the right answer as usual. But for those of us who do our best work on the kitchen table, use what DA said as you work with the 2250 tank. If the 2nd is adjustable, you can take care of any problems that show up on a 3000 psi tank with the adjusting knob. If not, then just be ready to take out your save-a-dive tool kit and give the orifice another 15 to 30 degree turn. Or, if pressed for time, just go with your backup rig for that dive and make the adjustment during the SI.

DA Aquamaster:
On a balanced regulator it won't make any significant difference.

Thanks. It's a Conshelf XIV, so I don't think I should have a problem.

Creed:
Thanks. It's a Conshelf XIV, so I don't think I should have a problem.

DA is right on the money. The Conshelf is a battle axe to begin with and once you have it set you can forget about it for a long while. IMO they work best when the IP is set around 120-130. Above that pressure you get a lot of noise due to ocillation in the 2nd stage seat and spring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom