Regulator Swivels, good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I hope your solution works should you ever get in this situation.
I had this happen to a buddy a thousand plus feet back in Peacock cave system. We did just fine, and stayed neutral. No silt out either. I also had this happen to me, diving solo at Ginnie. I was diving sidemount, so was far easier and no biggie. It did cause me to change my pre-dive checks so it would never happen again to me. Perhaps not having the out of simply ascending makes me work the problem more quickly. Not resolving them is not an option.

Most divers prepare as if nothing will go wrong. While I personally encounter very few issues, divers around me seem to bring problems with them. I set up my dive to resolve any and all issues that can arise with my gear and those diving with me.

My wife had this issue some years ago and it was suggested that her primary hose be moved to another port. Problem solved. On other issues, I have a ball swivel that came with my Atomics reg 10 years ago and I like it, and the moldable mouthpiece is really good.
Hmmm another port, can you please explain a bit for me.... I guess I'm dense. Do I switch it our with what, all my ports are full???

Wouldn't the addition of swivels also add new potential failure points?
IMO, the correct answer to anyone concerned about "failure points" is to start thinking about redundancy.

A scuba-diver in a standard configuration, will already have over 100 failure points on them. Mask strap, fin strap, mask, BCD straps/clips/zippers, each hose, each connection, each o-ring, each device has multiple, BCD inflator hose, BCD wing, BCD dump-valves, and so on. For most divers, doing recreational diving (technical, cave, and similar are a slightly different analysis), I don't think adding a small number of potential-failure-point matters, unless you're adding something you're not using.

With redundancy, the concept of failure-points almost becomes a silly topic. "What if you drop your knife?" "I have a backup, and another backup." "What if your swivel leaks?" "I have a completely independent air-source that can safely get me to the surface." Obviously, being a "Christmas tree diver" should be avoided, but there are often ways of avoiding excess bulk while also gaining redundancy.

One of the reasons I'm plenty happy servicing my own regulators, or perhaps using a used regulator I haven't serviced, is because whatever goes wrong, I have a completely independent air-source. I also patched a BCD bladder (which required a 2nd and 3rd gluing to get right), and wasn't concerned because I had 2 sources of redundant buoyancy, could surface and stay on the surface without a BCD, and could even "climb the shore" if I had to.

"What happens if your flex-hose or swivel adapter fails!?!?" "It's annoying, I'd probably switch to my pony, close the tank, and surface."

This biggest potential failure point is usually the diver themselves. For example, continuing a dive despite multiple problems occurring, or pursuing dives beyond their means.

For $10 you can make your reg sit comfortable with whatever hose you have. Over 100 dives with these on all my regs and they haven't showed any sign of leaking or failure. The swivel feature is awesome

View attachment 814529
I love those, and regularly use 2, and they're inexpensive.
DGX has many festive colors in their flex hose. It bends well and holds up to my abuses. They're only $22 so along with their 70/110 swivel it is a consumable that I'm not very concerned about. I may order a few backups here in the near future so my kit can stay properly color coordinated when I need to swap or replace it. All my current spares are black rubber.

View attachment 814636
Are the flex-color-hoses somewhat recent? I seemed to remember they didn't have flex with color last I checked, but it's been a while. I may have to get a few.
Failure points this, failure points that. Everything you put on to dive is a failure point.
Your dive buddy is a few dozen failure points.

Hmmm another port, can you please explain a bit for me.... I guess I'm dense. Do I switch it our with what, all my ports are full???
You can switch ports around. When I started with my dry suit, I had the ports one way, after couple of dives I decided I didn’t have enough slack for the dry suit LP hose. I swapped it with my BCD port because it had more play than I needed. You can also simply replace a hose with a longer or more flexible hose. I‘ve been replacing my hoses with Milflex rather than the rubber hoses. For most diving you need 1x HP for gauge or transmitter, 4x LP (primary, octo, BCD, drysuit).

I would suggest setting up your tank in the living room and looking at all the hose routing. Move them around until you are happy. A more flexible Hose on your primary may solve most of your problems with the hose / mouth piece issue.

Are the flex-color-hoses somewhat recent? I seemed to remember they didn't have flex with color last I checked, but it's been a while. I may have to get a few.
I've had mine for a couple years now and hadn't looked for them before that. I like mine so far. They don't seem overly floaty and bend nicely under pressure. They're a bit smaller ext diameter than the rubber LP hoses so they won't fit in a hose clip if you're into that sort of thing.

Hard pass on swivels - I won't dive with anyone who has it in the setup. You simply don't know when they choose to explode and it is a variable I do not need on a dive.

Elbows - not swivels - with flexible hoses and well fitting mouthpieces should do the trick. Btw, you don't need to get Miflex or a braided hose. There are flexible rubber hoses that work just fine. Deep6 Gear hoses are soft rubber and work extremely well.

Hard pass on swivels - I won't dive with anyone who has it in the setup. You simply don't know when they choose to explode and it is a variable I do not need on a dive.

Elbows - not swivels - with flexible hoses and well fitting mouthpieces should do the trick. Btw, you don't need to get Miflex or a braided hose. There are flexible rubber hoses that work just fine. Deep6 Gear hoses are soft rubber and work extremely well.
And any guy who bases their decision on what gear someone else dives that doesn't affect any critical part of the dive is someone I will never dive with. That's like saying I won't dive with anyone with only one first stage. You simply never know when they will choose to explode! Can't be scared all your life. Would you not dive with someone who dives Atomic Regs? These are high-quality regs and they come with the swivel already in the setup for some of their regs. Certainly, their R&D has thought of this and realized how low the risk really is.

And any guy who bases their decision on what gear someone else dives that doesn't affect any critical part of the dive is someone I will never dive with. That's like saying I won't dive with anyone with only one first stage. You simply never know when they will choose to explode! Can't be scared all your life. Would you not dive with someone who dives Atomic Regs? These are high-quality regs and they come with the swivel already in the setup for some of their regs. Certainly, their R&D has thought of this and realized how low the risk really is.
Oh, no - now I have to worry about my TFX and T3 2nd stage swivels killing me? And just when I had come to grips with the fact that I was likely going to die the next time I used my Atomic Smoke of the Water split fins. lol… this place cracks me up at times!

We are talking about a component that is prone to failure, not a brand, a color, or a regulator configuration.

Unless there is a valid reason, e.g., medical tooth/jaw condition, there is no need for a swivel. And yes, you're absolutely right, you should dive with people who match your risk profile. Overhead and tech taught me to be very selective.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom