Regulator Swivels, good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well, I thought like that as well, but an elbow rotates at both ends which is two planes, so as I said before, "in effect" it swivels. A regulator rotates at a single point and would not "in effect" swivel.
OK, good point. Kinematically, the elbow and the swivel are not the same; the elbow works by rotating at two separate points along axes that are not parallel, but the direction of those axes is fixed...like 90 deg or 70 (or 110) deg from each other. Both rotations on the elbow are using the standard hose-to-regulator fitting, which is simple and robust.
The swivel moves by rotating at two separate points along axes that are not parallel, as well. The BIG difference is that only one of the rotation points on the swivel uses that robust fitting, while the other point of rotation allows changing the pointing axis with a proprietary and not-as-robust fitting, and charges a lot for it.
You get more flexibility with the swivel; you get more issues to deal with, as well.
It seems that most folks can solve their problems with the elbow. If they actually NEED the swivel, they need to accept less reliability and be more attentive to its maintenance.
The Atomic swivel (it comes with a hose) is really a better design that the others; it is also more expensive, but if you really need a swivel it is the one that lessens some of he issues with the other swivels on the market. IMNSHO.

I'm thinking about getting a regulator hose swivel, since I bite down hard unknowingly while diving as a way to keep my regulator straight in my mouth. Otherwise, it wants to push its way out. Like picture kind of shows. Anyway the question is I have read places that they have a tendency of failing, causing a free flow. Is this your option?

View attachment 814366

Thanks Marty
i ve done 200 dives one a regulator with a swivel never had a free flow... Really like it anyway.

Where does the xs scuba miflex dual swivel hose fall in this? Any special service that needs to happen?

i ve done 200 dives one a regulator with a swivel never had a free flow... Really like it anyway.
Swivels suddenly leaking isn’t a regulator freeflow although the effect is the same and the fix is to do a valve shutdown — not possible on a single "standard" recreational dive rig.

The failure point of swivels is the loosening of the main swivel joint and failure of the O-ring. The two I’ve personally witnessed failing were on the surface.

Apparently some swivels are better than others, v2 is better than v1. But how do you tell if you have a good one from a ticking time bomb?

Simple, don’t use them.

Wouldn't say it's shaming.

Would say that opinions are fairly strong from those who've seen the swivels suddenly and without provocation leak. This is important in a basic forum to let people know that they do fail and frequently.

Similarly, the alternative is the fixed elbow which are reliable and don't suddenly leak.
I was told by one poster that I wasn't allowed to explain why I stopped using a swivel or an elbow and why I found alternatives to reducing jaw fatigue. Anyone who has expressed concern over either swivels or elbows for any reason has been shouted down and even attacked with memes a la The Pub.

Notice that the OP hasn't posted in quite some time. I wonder if, after a page of this nonsense, they decided SB, even in a green zone, is not the place to look for a reasonable conversation or even good advice. That would be a shame.

Those of us who do not live near diving tend to do our diving in chunks rather than in small amounts on a regular basis. We do not get the same amount of time to train in open water with new gear configurations. I would speculate that jaw fatigue is more common in those of use who dive in chunks. A reasonable discussion of pros and cons of various solutions should be able to occur on behalf of someone seeking advice and input.

Notice that the OP hasn't posted in quite some time. I wonder if, after a page of this nonsense, they decided SB, even in a green zone, is not the place to look for a reasonable conversation or even good advice. That would be a shame.
What are you talking about? Today is 16 December...the OP last posted in this thread a week ago on 8 December, and they responded to post #5 of this thread with a "thumbs up" on 10 December. Is less than a week considered "quite some time"???........The OP joined ScubaBoard in 2016 and only has 122 posts...its not like they are a prolific poster that has all of a sudden gone silent.

Perhaps the OP, after posting and receiving good responses early on just decided they didn't need to trudge through and respond to the endless banter, recommendations, and what not.

If one had read the first 5 posts after the OPs initial post, this thread could have stopped there...but folks are compelled to chime in with all sorts of redundant responses and/or opinion based info that added little else in response to the OP's initial question/concern.

Basically the OP got what they came for and moved along while everyone just kept gabbering on.

A reasonable discussion of pros and cons of various solutions should be able to occur on behalf of someone seeking advice and input.
Sure but instead of offering pros and cons the discussion continued to derail in various directions because folks seem more concerned with stating opinion and defending their dive practices and gear choices than having a helpful pros and cons discussion.

Even the Chairman, the owner of ScubaBoard, contributed to the drift of this thread (post #63) as he thought the primary question/concern had already been adequately addressed (as indicated in a DM discussion about his post).

And full disclosure, I posted a snarky meme that got deleted by a mod for being inappropriate in a "green zone" forum...no big deal, it was snarky and funny while it lasted, but I am ok with the fact it got deleted.

-Z

That's good to hear.

Now, about the two I've seen suddenly and without provocation leak? And the many that other people have told me about?

The failure point is a largish O-ring and a single screw that holds the two swivel parts together. These don't exist on elbows, so don't cause problems.

(This is basic scuba and it's important to be clear as to what the risk is and why there is an aversion to inline swivel adapters)

The failure point is a largish O-ring and a single screw that holds the two swivel parts together. These don't exist on elbows, so don't cause problems.

(This is basic scuba and it's important to be clear as to what the risk is and why there is an aversion to inline swivel adapters)
Not all swivels are built this way. There is no screw holding 2 parts together on the Atomic Comfort Swivel:

upload_2020-12-29_22-36-1.jpeg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom