Regulator setup with full face mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are actually planning on diving the FFM in an overhead environment, I'd advocate for having the FFM on the left post and your 7' on the right. Lucky you with the interspiro, since it routes to the left anyway. My reasoning is that you will always want to have your long hose on the right post, because unlike the left, the right post is significantly less likely to experience a roll off in overhead environments.

Since the whole point of the long hose is to be able to donate it to a buddy for a single file exit in an overhead environment, I would think it would make the most sense to dedicate the roll off safe reg post to your donated reg. YOU will know pretty quickly if you have experienced a roll off on YOUR reg, but it will be harder to recognize as quickly if it happens to your buddy while they are trying to make an exit in front of you. Of course, if Kwinter says he did it the other way, it must work fine...he knows what he is talking about when it comes to FFM, from what I have seen! That said, if you're not doing overhead, it shouldn't really matter which post you pick, since risk of roll off is really low. Of course, you don't really need a 7 footer then, either...

If you plan on keeping redundant air supply, then you will need to keep the FFM on your left post, with the plan to ditch the mask in case of a need to shut down the left post..I wouldn't keep both other regs, since the hose routing would be getting really hairy then, and would be adding an additional failure point to your setup without any real practical improvement for you.

I have yet to dive my guardian on anything other than my recreational setup, but when I dive it rec, I use a 5' octo that routes over my neck, and it's not really a big deal getting it over my head to donate for an OOA drill. I route the hose for the FFM down behind my back and out under my armpit and up to a swivel at the 2nd stage for the FFM, and that keeps all the hoses clear to allow easy donation - assuming you put the long hose around your neck AFTER the FFM is in place. I would imagine the same set up would work well for backmount - in your case, it would run along with your drysuit hose. If you routed yours straight from the left post over your left shoulder, though, it would get tangled up in the 7' if you hog wrap it, so you'd probably need to bungee the long hose like Kwinter did. I keep the donated reg on a break away bungee necklace where I would normally keep my backup reg, so I don't really worry about clipping it off. And since it's wrapped around the neck, it really doesn't flop around anywhere. Also, it makes it really easy to donate.

Last edited:
If you are actually planning on diving the FFM in an overhead environment, I'd advocate for having the FFM on the left post and your 7' on the right. Lucky you with the interspiro, since it routes to the left anyway. .

Hi. Thanks for your post. Little issue, the interspiro hose has length 1m /3.3 ft/, which is quite long for left-routing from left post on twins.
So I can either route it underarm, but then I will probably need L-elbow adapter for the hose. What do you think?

You can (and should) get a swivel adapter for the standard AGA fitting. It not only makes the mask more comfortable by adding a swivel, but it also changes the AGA fitting to a standard second stage 9/16 fitting. Then you can use any length reg hose that best fits your application. Every AGA mask my buddies and I use have an Omniswivel adapter. They're pricey but indispensable.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

You can (and should) get a swivel adapter for the standard AGA fitting. It not only makes the mask more comfortable by adding a swivel, but it also changes the AGA fitting to a standard second stage 9/16 fitting. Then you can use any length reg hose that best fits your application. Every AGA mask my buddies and I use have an Omniswivel adapter. They're pricey but indispensable.

Do you know what thead type is on Interspiro/MK II ?

Do you know what thead type is on Interspiro/MK II ?

Nope. I just know it is unique. Like the left side feed. They like being different. You will notice that when OTS developed the Guardian mask, they kept the best features of the AGA and got rid of some flaws. The thread and the left side feed are two notable examples.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Hi. Thanks for your post. Little issue, the interspiro hose has length 1m /3.3 ft/, which is quite long for left-routing from left post on twins.
So I can either route it underarm, but then I will probably need L-elbow adapter for the hose. What do you think?

I would go for the under arm routing with the swivel. That gets the hoses out of the way and it is quite streamlined. It's also the only way you'd be able to cleanly hog wrap a 7' hose if that's what you want to do, otherwise the hose over your left shoulder would really get in the way. It's the way I run my personal guardian, and the way we route the hoses for our surface supply units at the aquarium. On the single tank open circuit setups there, they use the over the shoulder routing - in addition to feeling more cluttered, I feel like there is more pull on the mask when you turn your head when the hose routes in from the side rather than from underneath. I greatly prefer the hose down the back (like you would have for your long hose), out under the armpit, and up the chest. I prefer mine running over where my drysuit hose crosses my chest to avoid any snags.

For my guardian, I use an xs scuba 110 degree elbow swivel at the second stage, and it works beautifully. I don't believe it would attach to your AGA though, since you would need an adapter to connect to the second stage. An omniswivel would be a fancier solution, which would attach directly to a LP hose of your choosing, so you could pick whatever length you like. Oh...I also find adding a miflex hose to this setup is particularly comfortable!

Here's a link directly to omniswivels site so you can see the 2 options that should work for your mask, with pics
Page Title (98 degree fixed AGA elbow)
Page Title (AGA 360 omniswivel)

Either would work - I'd get whatever is in stock and/or cheaper

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom