Regulator Set up - input from more experienced divers, please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m picky about who I dive with, most of the time. Like I often say my buddy’s and I all solo dive together.

It was during a class. But I'm not picky about who I dive with, just where I'll go with a new diver.

I think I will go for the 24" necklace and for the primary hose, the consensus seems to be 5'-7'. I am 6'1" and 250lb. so maybe a bit bigger than most.
Here's your normal hose options for your primary if you have a backup on a necklace:

40-48" - for open water, goes under arm and straight up. Needs an elbow or swivel at the second stage to be comfortable.

5' - for open water, loops around back of neck so no swivel needed and ideally is just the right length to stay against your body without any need to tuck hose into your waistband.

7' - standard for cave diving because it allows single file shares, but also used by open water divers, loops around neck so no swivel required, requires something on the waist band to keep the excess hose tidy (or you can just tuck it under the waist band and retuck as needed).

Note that the 5' and 7' lengths may need to be modified depending on your torso size and shape. I'm close to your size with a broad chest and the 5' is about 6" too short.

...I have only had to donate air three times so far, but twice the panic from the other diver forced me to hand over my primary and use my octo...

That's strange. If your dive count is correct, you have less than 100 dives, and have had to donate gas three times? I have a few over 2,000 dives and have never had to donate gas. Maybe you just need to choose your buddies better.

5' - for open water, loops around back of neck so no swivel needed and ideally is just the right length to stay against your body without any need to tuck hose into your waistband

I want to echo that this is correct, not what I said before. I was conflating this with the 48 inch hose under the arm and not around the neck — that one usually needs the 90° or swivel.

Three of the times I have donated air it was not my buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom