Regulator Servicing Cost

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gegast1

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Just checking to see what LDS are charging for servicing there regulators. Curious about SP MK16/17 mostly.
Thanks

I can't help you on that model, but the shop I use (SP Dealer) has a labor rate of $74.50/hour + parts (which may not be applicable to you). 1st stages that have been environmentally sealed will cost more (material & labor). Parts kits are always the "wild card". SP isn't always equal to all shops on parts pricing (they are wicked harsh on Canadian shops, even if they are big sellers).

My last service charges weren't pretty (3+ sets of gear, including Air-II's, BC valve service, and more) as it was over $800 due to some components being bad (hoses, and they broke my console taking it apart to replace a bad hose).

I can't help you on that model, but the shop I use (SP Dealer) has a labor rate of $74.50/hour + parts (which may not be applicable to you). 1st stages that have been environmentally sealed will cost more (material & labor). Parts kits are always the "wild card". SP isn't always equal to all shops on parts pricing (they are wicked harsh on Canadian shops, even if they are big sellers).

My last service charges weren't pretty (3+ sets of gear, including Air-II's, BC valve service, and more) as it was over $800 due to some components being bad (hoses, and they broke my console taking it apart to replace a bad hose).

Ouch you may want to find a new shop to service your SP or learn to do it yourself.

gegast1,

You might be better off finding a local board or just popping out to the local dive shops (do a little window shopping at the same time). Being in Florida you are going to have a much different experience than someone in say La Grande Ile. Rhwestfall's experience might have something to do with his location. Shops around my area charge $20/stage + parts.

gegast1,

You might be better off finding a local board or just popping out to the local dive shops (do a little window shopping at the same time). Being in Florida you are going to have a much different experience than someone in say La Grande Ile. Rhwestfall's experience might have something to do with his location. Shops around my area charge $20/stage + parts.

Those numbers are out of St. Cathrines.......:coffee:

Wow. I thought St. Catherines had better pricing than Toronto.

Why are you looking to have your regulator serviced? Service costs are almost always too high when the regulator does not need to be serviced.

Holy carp! Was that service performed on regs that were still under warranty? Our LDS does the SP warranty-required services at $40 total per reg set...including first, second, octo or AIRII, and inflator. What you describe would cost me $120 at our shop, plus the bad hose. And, please don't tell me they charged you for something they broke? If so, that would be my last trip to that shop.

Holy carp! Was that service performed on regs that were still under warranty? Our LDS does the SP warranty-required services at $40 total per reg set...including first, second, octo or AIRII, and inflator. What you describe would cost me $120 at our shop, plus the bad hose. And, please don't tell me they charged you for something they broke? If so, that would be my last trip to that shop.

No warranty - old stiff (Mk-V, Mk-10's, and 109BA's) - I'm eclectic when it comes to my regs. One was pretty crusty, so I expected some impact - it was just rescued from a saltwater gear abuser and was needing a serious bit of TLC) but never figured it to be this bad. I have no recourse - he had my gear, i had the bill. Had a couple pieces to replace (diaphrgm covers - 2@$20), and the parts kits ranged an additional $20 per set. That labor rate (and the time he took) - burns me almost as good as the almost 1 month for service, and get this - I still have one unfinished piece of gear there. Yeah, I really didn't care for the guy that broke my console - was a shock to see a different boot on my set-up (Substituted a Sherood for my SP). This may have been the last time I go there. Next shop is 1.5 hours away..... and I am unsure if they will deal with 109's. The closest SP shop to me won't, and that is why I go up there - and deal with the international border too... been doing it for a few years before my hiatus without too much thought. That seems to need to change... I just don't have time to tech my own stuff.

Getting back into this sport after a bit of a break hasn't been much fun so far....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom