Regulator Service?

Do you want to service your own regulator?

• Yes

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knowing how to would be invaluable. That doesn't mean I would, but I would like to better understand what I'm trusting my life to. I've taken armorer classes and I guessing it's similar. Don't lose the little parts and make sure everything is returned in the right order without any extra pieces.:D

After reading TSandMs thread yesterday, I looked up the Regulator Savvy book. Is this a reliable resource for this topic? I'm not planning on servicing my own regs, but I would like to know what makes them tick.

I'm a long time Apeks user and have always sent my gear back to the manufacture for service/repair [LDS's are a joke !!!] even though I've known how to repair/rebuild [and have the tools/test equipment] for years....But I'll be transitioning to HOG [have bought, tried three HOG set-ups and really like the product] because I can get parts, they really aren't designed much differently and are ALOT less.....Apeks [Aqualung as usual] makes it nearly impossible to get parts or self-service their gear and I find that kind of monopolistic practice offensive......For those reasons they have lost a long time customer......I'd tell Aqualung to "GET THE HINT" but considering their ignorant handling [TOTAL lack of] over Sunnto's 'D' series computer straps, their 'Trade Restriction' policies and 'back-door' dealings w/Scubapro, I know it'll be ignored........Kinda reminds me of Bush, Enron and Madoff all rolled into one Company, LOL & ROFl :O !!!!!......

+1 Been servicing my own regs for decades and I believe a qualified person diving the reg he is working on will do at least as good a job if not better then the person not diving it. Knowing how to do so will also put you in a position to save your own dive when something goes wrong on site instead of missing the dive and taking the reg to a shop after.

Knowing how to would be invaluable. That doesn't mean I would, but I would like to better understand what I'm trusting my life to. I've taken armorer classes and I guessing it's similar. Don't lose the little parts and make sure everything is returned in the right order without any extra pieces.:D

After reading TSandMs thread yesterday, I looked up the Regulator Savvy book. Is this a reliable resource for this topic? I'm not planning on servicing my own regs, but I would like to know what makes them tick.

Reg savvy will indeed make it crystal clear how regs work. Highly detailed but in easy to understand terms. Illustrations are great and it not only goes into how to adjust regs but why they are done that way. This is theory at it's finest. For more hands on down in trenches type advice with a lot of info on specific regs you should also get the book from airspeed press. Vance's regulator maintenance and repair. They compliment each other and I feel that having both is a good investment as well as nice additions to any dive library.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The LDS where I bought 2 regs had a total change of personnel and twice they serviced my scuba pro regs where they leaked and I couldn't use them for a dive and both times I was out of the country on vacation. I got them fixed locally, but it cost me some money and pissed me off. I found another LDS to service them, but I wish I could just do it myself. Subapro makes a great reg but service once a year is expensive and always a crap shoot.

This question comes up regularly (pun indended). We have 10 regs so the cost servicing them got expensive. It is only worth while if you have multiple regs or no descent shop. The cost of the tools (scubatools.com) plus the books (Reg. Savy and Reg. Maintanence) will run ya a three - four hundred or so depending on what you need. I think having the right tools is important not to mention making the job easier. Then there are the specific reg manuals (frogkick.dk).

I got lucky with my bench as I bought a lot of tools and test equipment from a guy who was retiring so now have a bunch of nice to have equipment like a HP manager and large mag/pressure gauges.

The biggest hitch is getting the service parts. More and more some shops are willing to sell service kits. (Regulator Service Kits at Northeast Scuba Supply). But if you need a replacement part not so easy.

It is only worth while if you have multiple regs or no descent shop. The cost of the tools (scubatools.com) plus the books (Reg. Savy and Reg. Maintanence) will run ya a three - four hundred or so depending on what you need.

Unless a person has other (or additional) reasons for wanting to service their own regs.

My poll results on SB of 3:1 in favor of servicing one's own regulator does not surprise me, this is not a random survey of divers. However, I would be quite surprised if all of the positive respondents were actually willing to invest in the required tools and education required to execute the activity. Maybe I'm wrong?

At $30/stage + parts, and the number of sets I own, I need to start doing my own service (and the interval will be much different that annual).......

I've been servicing my Apeks regs now for about 7 years. Never any problems for the most part. I was getting parts from Germany when the exchange rate was good. Lately I've been getting kits for decent prices on Ebay. I have Vance's book, a good ultrasonic cleaner and assorted gauges and tools to do the job right. I've seen a LOT of shoddy work on regulators. I'm sure my investment in time and tools is really starting to pay off especially now that I'm doing some tech diving.

I have a bunch of regulators, too. And I'd rather spend $100 to have a trusted, experienced, and skilled (key words there) tech work on my regs. In reality, I would only be working on a handful of regs per year, and I question if that's enough frequency to be truly competent at it.

+1. I'd rather a practiced tech do it.

I did take the equipment class, though, and enjoyed learning how it all works.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom