Regulator Service?

Do you want to service your own regulator?

• Yes

Votes: 98 77.8%
  • No

Votes: 28 22.2%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having said all that I am curious if all you self tought reg techs and all of you that are thinking about it do, or plan to do your own service on your BC? I never seem to hear anyone saying they want to learn to do that.
What type of BC servicing are you talking about?
I have always performed comprehensive functional tests on my BC before every dive. If something isn't right, I fix it.

I make sure that my BCs have standard, replaceable parts which simplifies troubleshooting and repair.
I prefer having a "standard" power inflater on a BC that can easily be serviced with the appropriately sized o-rings and some lube. If one of the sealing surfaces inside the power inflater is messed up, then the part can be replaced or the entire power inflater assembly can be replaced for $20-$25.
Corrugated hoses and pull-dump/OPVs can be replaced.
I have yet to encounter any punctures. If I did, I have heard that Aquaseal or similar adhesive can work. My preference would be to replace the entire inner bladder, though. I realize that not all BCs have a replaceable bladder, but mine does.

I try to steer clear of the newer "innovations" in BC technology. For example, the Aqualung/Seaquest i3 system has a bunch of push-pull rods inside the BC which are not accessible at all for troubleshooting/repair. If the owner ever had an issue with it, he would probably be charged a pretty penny by Aqualung for the servicing.

1+ to Bubbletrubble's post. With BC's, "Prevention is worth an ounce of cure". Clean it properly (inside and out), store it properly, service when needed. If you can service your regs, a BC is a no-brainer.

Aquaseal worked well to stop some "pinhole" leaks in along the seam of the internal bladder on my HOG wing. So I can confirm it does work for small holes.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom