Regulator service lubricant choice, Christo-Lube vs silicone lube

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eelnoraa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am just wondering, for those who will not be using Nitrox above 40%, or for those who is using a Ti regulator which is not supposed to be use with O2, is there any reason not to use silicon lube? Not that I am using it, just wondering why not.

I have a concern with crytolube beside the cost (of course). I notice crystolube is very paste like as it age (sitting in the tube in my draw) or under colder temperature. It feels like "drying up" or "frozen". I don't have better words to describe it. The lubrication property seems to degrade over time or in low temp. It just doesn't feel smooth. Silicon lube on the other hand, feels silky smooth all the time

I prefer silicone grease for any regulator that is used with less than 40% O2. I have been using silicone for over 40 years and its lubrication properties seem to stay consistent even with regulators that have not been serviced in decades.

With Crystolube (and other O2 compatible lubricants) I have observed the same properties you are describing. I will not use them unless I have to for high O2 application. Even when they are new, I prefer the consistency of silicone over any of the O2 compatible lubricants. As they age silicone stays the same, but the O2 compatible lubricants definitely degrade.

I don't have any titanium regulators, so I am not sure what I would use as a lubricant if I had one.

I use silicone for everything except my O2 regs. If you're a shop that's doing it, you realistically should just O2 clean everything because it's easier to just have everything O2 clean and not run the risk, but I have about 8-10 regulators that I don't O2 clean, and only 2 first stages that stay O2 clean. They don't get rebuilt nearly as often and are also the only piston regs that I have, so I just keep them completely separate during cleaning time.

Tribolube stays viscus without caking. The expensive part is the base oil and the white bit is the ptfe additive to keep the oil where you put it. Depends on what you are doing I guess... like threads on a scuba cylinder as its nice to have the additive keep the oil in the threads instead of moving into the cylinder where it will attract contaminates.

No silicone or Titanium for me.

For simplicity I use silicon on lights and Christolube on regulators. Mostly because our regs can see high O2 at any time or are Ti regs. If not for that I would use silicon as it is much less expensive.

As for Christo-lube caking up. I have not had that problem. Though see it when I take a reg apart. It can separate some but never enough that it is an issue.

For simplicity, I use Christolube on everything, except the DSV of my CCR. It is the only part where christolube is not reccommanded.

For simplicity I use silicon on lights and Christolube on regulators. Mostly because our regs can see high O2 at any time or are Ti regs. If not for that I would use silicon as it is much less expensive.

As for Christo-lube caking up. I have not had that problem. Though see it when I take a reg apart. It can separate some but never enough that it is an issue.

Why is Ti affect your choice? Are they more sensitive to low % O2?

For simplicity, I use Christolube on everything, except the DSV of my CCR. It is the only part where christolube is not reccommanded.
Some friends told me that "CHRISTO-LUBE MCG-111" is the best for dynamic and not dynamic o-rings, also O2 compatible crease.
Due I don't have CCR, so it is better for me always to have it with me and use one crease for everything.
Now I am running to find it for acceptable price. :) The best, which I saw was 18$ for 0.5 oz

Some friends told me that "CHRISTO-LUBE MCG-111" is the best for dynamic and not dynamic o-rings, also O2 compatible crease.

Not that I don't believe it. The industry uses it for a reason. But it sure doesn't feel like the best lubricant by touch. That is what puzzle me. As for cost, unless you pack the atomic ambient chamber, the usage is quite small. 2 oz tube will last you a bit.

BTW, $18 for 0.5oz is super expansive. I have been buying them at $30 for 2oz which I still think it is quite expansive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom