Regulator service intervals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ffdiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I may get some slack for this question, but I'll leave it up to those whom are more experienced than I, in regulator servicing.

If I have a reg that has a rock steady IP, no free flows, breathes great, no corrosion or any issues whatsoever.
Should this reg be serviced?

I know the stock manufacturers' answer of 100 dives or yearly, but I want the real answer.

I don't believe regs need to be serviced every year or every two years for that matter but again i'll defer to those with more experience.

My experience has been that the only time I ever have an issue with a reg is AFTER it comes back from servicing.

I don't believe regs need to be serviced every year or every two years for that matter but again i'll defer to those with more experience.

My experience has been that the only time I ever have an issue with a reg is AFTER it comes back from servicing.

If you have issues after service it is usually a bad service and you should go elsewhere for the service in future. It is a common thing though so don't feel alone :D

As to the periodicity of regulator service it is a subject done to death on here and many other forums. The truth is that a badly looked after, neglected reg with salt crystals in it from the last dive and kept in a damp garage probably needs a service right now irrespective of when it was last done, even a month back. On the other hand a reg used only in clean clear water (like Florida caves) probably doesn't need a service, just replace the entire reg after 20 years or so. Anywhere between those two periods is a reasonable answer and you can make a case for it.

The manufacturers have a vested interest in selling spare parts and keeping their dealers in service revenues. They also have to work to what they think is the "average user" that might not care properly for the reg. I don't think it is unreasonable therefore for them to say every 1-2 years. I service mine much less, but I do soak them after use in salt water to ensure they are kept in really good order.

There are plenty of good books around that will help you understand the technical aspects of service and make an educated decision about periodicity. I have (and very much like) the Airspeed press one.

On my regs, I check the IP every few months as you probably do and check around the exterior of the reg for signs of corrosion, but as my regs are environmentally sealed, I also remove the end cap and check around the threads for corrosion. Basically I use this as an indicator for the rest of the reg internals as the cap can be removed and replaced without an actual rebuild.

If there is some moderate corrosion or IP is out of whack I rebuild it, otherwise I don't see any need to.

This is pretty much where I'm at with my regs.

When I refer to having issues with my regs after servicing I meant thats when I notice small free flows or 2nd stage seats still setting in, things like that.

Once you understand how regulators work (and how they fail), and how to inspect them; it is easy to recognize when they are ready for service. If you adopt this approach, you need a spare set in case a problem develops in the middle of a dive trip. Then again, you really should have that spare even if you subscribe to periodic service as problems can crop up at any time, with the first few dives after a service being a prime time for problems resulting from service errors.

As far as checking IP, can it be done by connecting to the low pressure inflator hose, or do all hoses need to be removed and the gauge connected directly to the LP port on the 1st stage? I'm debating which gauge to buy to monitor my own regulators IP.

As far as checking IP, can it be done by connecting to the low pressure inflator hose, or do all hoses need to be removed and the gauge connected directly to the LP port on the 1st stage? I'm debating which gauge to buy to monitor my own regulators IP.

Yes, it can.

My understanding is this. 1st stage HP seat is only engaged when pressurized. So if you clean your reg properly, no water intrusion, and storage it in the right environment, I don't how 1st stage can develop issue for a long time. Well, unless O-rings become dry and rotted. Most 2nd stage (except atomic), orifice is engaged to LP seat, so even not using it, seat can degrade. I don't know what would be the life time of the seats. But you should be able to notice the LP seat issue easily. With Atomic 2nd stage, I think the time limit should be rubber parts drying out and rotted.

Once you understand how regulators work (and how they fail), and how to inspect them; it is easy to recognize when they are ready for service. If you adopt this approach, you need a spare set in case a problem develops in the middle of a dive trip. Then again, you really should have that spare even if you subscribe to periodic service as problems can crop up at any time, with the first few dives after a service being a prime time for problems resulting from service errors.

1+.

I think once a diver learns to inspect his/her own regulators, they will be WAY ahead of those who have not learned this simple but valuable skill.

Simply relying on an often-unnecessary annual service to detect and correct any developing problems is not the best or safest approach.

Good pre- (and post-) dive inspections of your gear will catch greater than 90% of developing problems before they cause a missed dive in my experience... having a backup regulator set like awap recommends will get you to 100%, and you'll never miss a dive due to a regulator issue.

Awap's advice is still great even if you choose to have annual services performed.

In fact, it is especially important to have a spare set along on that big dive trip just in case your freshly-serviced regulator decides to act up on that first dive after an annual service :wink:.

My understanding is this. 1st stage HP seat is only engaged when pressurized. So if you clean your reg properly, no water intrusion, and storage it in the right environment, I don't how 1st stage can develop issue for a long time. Well, unless O-rings become dry and rotted. Most 2nd stage (except atomic), orifice is engaged to LP seat, so even not using it, seat can degrade. I don't know what would be the life time of the seats. But you should be able to notice the LP seat issue easily. With Atomic 2nd stage, I think the time limit should be rubber parts drying out and rotted.

I think this is basically accurate.

My experience with our 1st stages (mostly diaphragm type, but I do not think this is a factor) is that they can go a VERY long time between services. I have one first stage approaching 8 years since its last service.

The time interval for my 2nd stages is significantly shorter, but usually well longer than a year, and often they can go several years. Sometimes they may need a periodic "touch-up" tuning, sometimes a more complete service.

It is rare that I have to do any type of service to my regs other than a slight adjustment to the 2nd stage during the first 2 years after I service them.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom