Regulator Service Diaphragm Retainer Removal Tool

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello;

I was wondering if anyone who services their own regulators has used this tool:

1717_1_large.jpg

I seem to struggle to remove the diaphragm retainer, and seem to always bust my knuckles, mess up the pin and sometimes mess the diaphragm retainer up.

I am working on rebuilding several HOG D3's which the circumference is slightly greater than 38MM, was wondering if anyone could comment on if this tool worked for removal of their diaphragm retainer?

Are you using a regulator holder/handle and a vise to hold it? And you may or may not have modify the pin to fit the hole as deep as it can and as snug in the hole as it can be.

Are you using this instead of a spanner wrench?

You're better off with using a C-spanner and the regulator in a vise with first stage holding tool.

I've never used it, but it looks like a C-spanner alternative with a more positive engagement. I do fine with my c-spanner, but have struggled mightily in the past with salt-encrusted regs.

I've never used it, but it looks like a C-spanner alternative with a more positive engagement. I do fine with my c-spanner, but have struggled mightily in the past with salt-encrusted regs.
With salt encrusted regs, if you are able to, you could put the complete 1st stage in an ultrasonic cleaner for 15-20 minutes. This hopefully has the effect of dissolving the salt and a bit of heat which should help loosen the parts.

S.

Are your using the adjustable spanner with the hinge or a set spanner? I would highly recommend the set spanner from Scuba Tools.

The one you posted looks good but I'm wondering how many times turning that screw in and out will slop the tolerances and get back to your original problem several services later.
The Scuba Tool version you'll not need to turn the screw to take the spanner off the reg.

539.jpg

Hook Spanner Set, #3 thru #6

They sell individuals too if you know which one you need.

With salt encrusted regs, if you are able to, you could put the complete 1st stage in an ultrasonic cleaner for 15-20 minutes. This hopefully has the effect of dissolving the salt and a bit of heat which should help loosen the parts.

S.

Even with soaking and heat, they're still a lot tougher to open than new/clean regs as are presented in most reg repair classes. Also, some regs come from the Mfg or previous techs CRANKED down. That, plus age/abuse/salt and they can be REALLY tough to crack.

I've been a proponent of "hand tighten then gently snug with the wrench" and it's been working fine for me for several years and plenty of regs.

I've been a proponent of "hand tighten then gently snug with the wrench" and it's been working fine for me for several years and plenty of regs.
I totally agree, there's no need to crank them down, even the manual says "tighten until there is metal to metal contact" that doesn't mean tighten so much that the parts are practically welded together.

Back
Top Bottom