Regulator record - anyone beat this?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

J.R.:
Yea... I know what you're saying... but the instructor is acting *in agency* for the agency... ie., they must follow agency minimums, standards and practices. The instructors don't make the rules... they follow them. It's the agencies responsibility to oversee the operations of their members and to ensure standards are being met...

... now, whether or not they're actually doing this... that's a whole nuther' kettle of squid... but I think you'll find that *legally* the instructor is simply attesting to the certifying agency that the agency's requirements for training have been met... the agency, acting on the word of the instructor... then certifies the diver.

An instructor may be acting as agent for the agency, but plays the closer and by far, the more important role in the certifying new divers. My point is that an agency's standards are the same to all the instuctors who teach for that agency, however not all instructors for that particular agency will have necessarily the same interpretation of its standards and aherence to those standards, which then can result in what we see as divers with substandard training.

An H valve probably would not have helped her. She doesn't really sound like the type of diver who could shut down a freeflowing reg, even if she had an H valve.

grassyknoll:
You laugh now, but if three other divers in the water with her go OOA at the same time she'll be prepared (does anyone teach a quad controled ascent?).
As for the isse with using you reg to pull yourslf along, that is just crazy, everyone knows you put your 4-gauge wrecking-ball-console on a long hose and throw it in front of you, then you just pull yourself along kinda' like horizontal rappeling.

I thought you use the console as anchor between the corals.....

tridacna:
She grabs one reg in her right hand and uses it as a hook to pull herself on the bottom.

Funniest thing I've ever read on ScubaBoard.

Nemrod:
The evil diving force, PadI does, in a one afternoon course and a coloring book with pictures of pretty fish. N

Yeah, well so does SSI and NAUI....PADI doesn't have the corner on bad divers. Actually the worst diver I've ever seen had a whole wallet full of SSI cards.

Unfortunately, these people did get certified and obviously should not have. Unfortunately, I have seen instructors that I didn't think should have their OW card. These situations are becoming more the rule than the exception. It is sad for SCUBA and if it doesn't stop, some legislator that loses a son or daughter is going to introduce a bill that regulates the industry. No one wants that to happen. I don't know what the solution is, but weekend and resort courses are not the answer.

DennisW:
Unfortunately, these people did get certified and obviously should not have..

How many goto universities, pass the tests, get a degree, and still know absolutely nothing when they get out. I see this when I goto hire potential applicants for positions we offer.

As much as people like to criticize Padi, and other agencies, you are making a lot of assumptions.

People could demonstrate all of the skills, pass the knowledge reviews, and later on be horrible divers. How did this turn into a Padi bashing top anyways? I don't remember padi teaching people the 3 octo gear configuration.

I'm sorry. I don't think my post had the acronym PADI in it anywhere. I stand by my post.

Originally Posted by tridacna
She grabs one reg in her right hand and uses it as a hook to pull herself on the bottom.

Blackwood:
Funniest thing I've ever read on ScubaBoard.

I'm wondering, since she had 2+ spare 2nd stages, why didn't she use another 2nd stage in the other hand and pull herself along with both hands? seems like it would have been much easier for her! :rofl3:

Back
Top Bottom