Regulator Opinion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zenyetti

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi Guys, just getting into tech diving and would appreciate some advice on regulators. What should I be looking at to get down (and up!) to 100 meters, open circuit. From what I gather there seems to be 2 options, scubapro MK25 with G250 / X650, or Poseidon Xstreme. Apeks also seems good but not very well supported where I am. also possibly the Mares MR 42 with Abyss. Freezing wont be an issue as diving in and around South Africa. Thanks a lot, would appreciate any opinions on the above 3 or any other suggestions.

Just getting into tec diving and you want a reg good to 100m.....um....
Lets just talk regs and from my experience. I find the scubapro mk25/s600 (long hose) & mk25/s550 (alt) an awesome setup. It's what's on my rig and i'm very fussy but also realistic. They are reliable, easy breathing, simple and mount well without hoses bending much etc etc.
They are somewhat the norm in the tec community here and for good reason... Personally I'm not a fan of the x650, it's not the easiest breathing reg and there were a few recalls which makes me think, maybe not the best choice.
Not a huge fan of Mares and i've never used poseidon regs (although i've only heard positive things).
My reccomendation would be to speak to your instructors, have a look around and see what the general trend is within your local tec community. Buying common regs with a good track record is a bit of piece of mind......... even if it's only half way to 100m :wink:

Thanks mate, don't plan on bombing straight down to 100 meters, but want to invest in a good one now that I know will cope when I get to those depths eventually. Instructors and local "vibe" is also scubapro like you, but my own research
Has thrown up poseidon and mares. Nuno Gomes used Poseidon on his 318 m record so that must count for something. So far scubapro looking good though...

Just about everything breathes well with helium.

Also, depending on where you choose to obtain your technical training, you may find "issues" with some Poseidon models.

I'd suggest looking hard at your parts and supply availability - this may be the biggest arbiter for your choice.

All the best, James

Poseidon makes great, rock solid regulators, but support and parts are hard.

ScubaPro's Mk*/G250 is a great set (I dive the Mk25/G250), and has a broader support base.

Questions to keep in mind;
Will you be servicing your own equipment?
How long before you need a regulator like that?
Do you think you'll change your mind and go CCR by the time you're ready to make a 100m?

I would reccomend Atomic Aquatics T2x Regulator or M1

Poseidon makes great, rock solid regulators, but support and parts are hard.

ScubaPro's Mk*/G250 is a great set (I dive the Mk25/G250), and has a broader support base.

Questions to keep in mind;
Will you be servicing your own equipment?
How long before you need a regulator like that?
Do you think you'll change your mind and go CCR by the time you're ready to make a 100m?

Going CCR at that depth, he'll still need some good reg's & tanks for bailout.

The G250V is a better second stage than the G250 HP or the X650.

I dive the MK25s, they are great!! My second is S600, but the G250 is also great second stage.

I would avoid the x650. S600 or G250 are great.

I use the Mk25/S600...its great. I used to use Poseidon.... but it was always trouble to get service or spares when I was travelling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom