Regulator knowledge to stop panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, alternate from the left is something I point out to my buddy during the dive plan and buddy check. But it is not a big adjustment, because the alternate reg itself still hangs in the triangle defined by the chin and bottom corners of the rib cage.

Slight thread necromancy here, came across it looking for something else, but I had no idea an upside down reg would cause this problem at any stage during training. If it was mentioned, it must have been a couple of seconds tops and instantly forgettable in how it was presented.

I first learned how it could happen three weeks ago. Of all things I was watching the special features on the making of The Abyss DVD! The part when Ed Harris drops off the wall in particular, he was holding his breath being towed sideways (to simulate falling without a need to equalise) then gave the out of air signal. The rescue diver was, unknown at that stage, tangled in wire so a camera operator rushed in to give Harris his reg and ended up doing it upside down. Harris tried to breathe normally and got a full on wet breath but someone else had arrived by then, recognised and corrected the situation. Kinda shook him up.

Does make me wonder how many other new divers don't know this.

IMO, mounting octo on the left is a bad idea in general. The problem is that if you ever need your own octo, say the OOA diver grab your primary, you will be breathing a 2nd stage that is full of water and unable to purge.

The real solution to this problem is to have a donateable long hose from the right side. If the donor need/use it, it will be right side up -> purgeable. If receiver will have long enough hose for manuvering.

indigo_dc,

I know a few instructors and each and every one of them makes it a point to mention making sure your buddy takes the octo right side up. More than once they mention getting a wet breathe if you breath from most octos upside down. Mind you, my current regs breath dry regardless if which way you use it.

Back
Top Bottom