Regulator knowledge to stop panic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In my SSI open water class we were shown how to breathe offan upside down regulator. While kneeingon the bottom of the pool we had to bend forward far enough to get theregulator right way up. Once we were breathing off the regulator we could govertical again. I am thinking about switching to a DIR regulator setup.

I believe most students are informed about the correct way to put a reg in their mouth.

I also believe that those people cannot remember being specifically taught this after a few weeks and if asked will swear black and blue that they were never taught this in their OW course. There is so much information being presented in such a short time that most people cannot possibly remember all the details IMO.

An easy example is how to put on a mask. Students do get shown and taught how to put on their mask- defogging procedures, getting their hair out of the skirt, positioning on the face, adjusting the straps etc. etc. However this is one of the worst 'skills' that I see- resulting in foggy, leaking masks and complaints that the mask is 'broken'.

I don't remember my first instructor telling me which way to put a regulator in my mouth or emphasizing not to put the octo in my mouth upside down. Now that I'm a divemaster and assisting various instructors I see that ALL the instructors emphasize not putting the octo in upside down when doing share air. I think maybe 2% of the students put the octo in their mouth upside down but most are listening.

That was one of the first things I was told in open water class. It also made sense since the sherwood bruts we were using looked awful weird upside down and the exhaust tees would hit your mask. And along with that we we were told that most regs will breathe wet upside down. He then taught us how to use the tongue to limit the amount of water taken in. As I read threads like this and think how basic my open water class was compared to the one I teach, I wonder that people are even surviving some of their checkouts with the lack of information they seem to be getting now.
Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

The difference is that you removed the reg from your mouth, flooding it, then put it back in upside down. While upside down and full of water, the exhaust valve is at the top of the regulator, making it virtually impossible to effectively purge.

When it's already in your mouth and you go upside down, you don't need to purge it. You might get a little water leakage into it as you exhale and water slips in through the exhaust valve.

Long story short: some regs will "breathe wet" while upside down. However, all regs are difficult to purge of water while upside down.

For that depth and temperature combo, you should have en entirely independent alternate first and second stage. An H valve is good but a pony bottle is even better. The risk is that with two people breathing off one first stage, you could freeze your buddy's reg as well.

That was my first thought reading this as well.

Long story short: some regs will "breathe wet" while upside down. However, all regs are difficult to purge of water while upside down.

Poseidons work great upside down and purge either way. :wink:

In Rescue, our instructor encouraged us to connect our alternate to the left side of the first stage and hang it over the left shoulder. So when it is donated, it naturally goes correct side up and breathes dry.

Unfortunately the left shoulder routing is not the norm worldwide. I have no problems with different kit, but IMO the onus is on that individual to communicate the difference to their buddy.

Like people holding on to imperial for grim life or driving on the wrong side of the road, it'd make things easier if everyone could agree :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom