Regulator hose tightening

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
I have heard and read how some people tighten their regulator hose only "hand tight". Being totally ignorant on this subject, can someone please explain the concept, pros and cons, and how its done?

How its done? Thats easy, assemble your regs with hands only. Dont use tools =D.

It allows you to make changes to your equipment during a dive without tools. If you had some sort of failure. ie: Removing the 2nd stage off of your deco bottle to replace the 2nd stage on your bottom gas because its screwed up.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, the Interspiro divator second stage hose does not even have a fitting you could wrench tighten. The fitting on the regulator attachment point is knurled and is only hand tightened.

The hose design is the same as a traditional second stage and the internal o-ring seal is not affected by how tightly the fitting is.

I suppose in a situation that required frequent switching of second stage assemblies it would save both time and wear and tear to leave the fitting loose but for normal SCUBA diving I would tighten it down.

Jeff Lane

As folks said, hand-tight is so you can replace a second stage during a dive.

Remember however, it's only useful if you have a regulator to replace with [e.g. deco/stage bottle, etc...]

Another important thing to remember is if you go with hand tight regs, always check them before every dive. I made that mistake once and I luckily learned my lesson on the surface after a dive rather than 10 minutes previous when I was back at the edge of the cavern zone.

I always keep my 2nd stage connections finger tight and as Spectre said always check them before a dive they will loosen in a dive bag. checking all the connections is part of my pre-dive buddy check and for sure if you loan a reg to someone inform them and offer to tighten them if they they are unsure of the practice.
Joens

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom