Regulator Hose Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wrong...no. Some might consider it overkill, but there is nothing wrong with that setup per se. It's just another alternate air source. I see you have a relatively low dive count. Do what you're comfortable with. From my experience, most newcomers copy the setup they used in their OW class. And with experience, modify their gear to fit their needs, comfort level and ability.

Wrong...no. Some might consider it overkill, but there is nothing wrong with that setup per se. It's just another alternate air source. I see you have a relatively low dive count. Do what you're comfortable with. From my experience, most newcomers copy the setup they used in their OW class. And with experience, modify their gear to fit their needs, comfort level and ability.

Thanks s_f... yes, I'm still as green as they come :wink:

I thought the integrated inflator+octo can be my backup's backup. It will always be there no matter what and my left hand will have the muscle memory for reaching and manipulating it as I use it all the time to manage buoyancy, unlike the regular octo which I only test during gear setup and disassembly.

But, in most cases I will try to just use my primary reg + regular octo to manage any OOA situations.

Hi y'all, I've got a newbie question in relation to reg hose configurations..

Say I got an integrated inflator+octo in my setup (Zeagle Octo-Z).. can I use that as a backup octo and still attach a regular long hose octo to my configuration?
Is there anything wrong/bad/unworkable in such setup?

Thanks in advance :)

Yes, you can attach an additional conventional octo when you use an inline octo.

Nothing wrong with it except that you now have a backup on top a backup.

I have been slowly amassing gear since I started diving last may, now I own everything but a regulator set. I have one issue that I was not able to resolve by reading through past posts on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, and that is what regulator hose lengths and configuration would be most appropriate. I am a recreational diver, and will be purely that for quite a while, even though after another year or two I would like to take fundies or similar shooting for a rec pass just for the skill.

I hesitate on hose size and placement because my OW was taught with a primary reg, computer console, and a AIR2. My issue with this, is that I no longer use a AIR2 (DSS bp/w with standard inflator) which leaves a secondary reg as my next most viable option, even though I have no practice in using one.

I like the necklace secondary, not only because of its ease of use, but because I am use to donating my primary and this option will not change that. So how long is the standard necklace hose? Or am I missing something in this thinking?

I'm not so sure on what I should do for my primary regulator. In OW it was a hose straight from the first stage to the secondary, not wrapping around or tucked anywhere. Sharing air was a very up close proposition. So what configuration do you think would work best here? A short hose just like OW or a little longer 5', 7', something else? And what would be the best way to get some practice with the setup?

Klint,
If you are thinking about taking Fundies, you might as well get your gear right the first time. Are you using a can light? I know you are already using a BP/W. What do you have attached on right side of the harness around your waist?
I think it would be advisable to go with the 7' hose on your primary and keep the other second stage bungeed around your neck. If you already have a can light, you can route the long hose under the can light, across your chest, and behind your neck. If you are not using a can light yet, you can route the hose under whatever might be on your right side, ie.weight pocket, knife pouch, etc.
I wouldn't worry about how long a standard hose would be for the second stage you hang around your neck. Take a rental reg and bring the reg around your neck. Is it too short and you have to turn your head? Is it too long and bowing out? The goal is to find out what the right length is for you.
Have you thought about taking the Diving for Science class? Aquarena Springs is a great place for diving this winter. There are several swampers taking the class next weekend, and I'm thinking about coming out and DM'ing that class.

Carrie

Klint,
If you are thinking about taking Fundies, you might as well get your gear right the first time. Are you using a can light? I know you are already using a BP/W. What do you have attached on right side of the harness around your waist?

I use a DR500LED as my primary light in the canister configuration with a goodman handle, so I have something to wrap a 7' around on. The exception would be dives like the Comal where I did not use a primary, but just a little handheld secondary.

Have you thought about taking the Diving for Science class? Aquarena Springs is a great place for diving this winter. There are several swampers taking the class next weekend, and I'm thinking about coming out and DM'ing that class.

I have thought about it, I would like to take it, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to pass the buoyancy tests. For now I'm out of diving anything not spring fed, my only thermal protection is a 3/2mm and a hooded vest.

I doubt I could make it out this time around, as that is finals week. I'm looking forward to much pain and suffering. :(

I have thought about it, I would like to take it, but I'm not sure I'm good enough to pass the buoyancy tests. For now I'm out of diving anything not spring fed, my only thermal protection is a 3/2mm and a hooded vest.

Klint,

If you need local practice, give me a call when we can go 'unofficial' and we can work on some things (bouyancy, octo, other) as I may just happen to have some alternate equipment configurations around the house somewhere...

Granted, you may kill us all with that setup, but if that happens, so be it.

As long as it is just diving between friends, we can use whatever equipment we want.

Klint,

If you need local practice, give me a call when we can go 'unofficial' and we can work on some things (bouyancy, octo, other) as I may just happen to have some alternate equipment configurations around the house somewhere...

As long as it is just diving between friends, we can use whatever equipment we want.

Where are you at in Tx?

Next class is Dec 12 and 13, but they go on all the time. Can you handle the 64 degree water in Travis right now in a wetsuit? :frosty:

I dunno, I was good with the Comal's 72F at trashfest. Never been any colder than that. How strict is the course at Aquarena? I can prolly hold horizontal +- a few feet with no task loading and no current.

Allright cool. I would really appreciate it. I traded Kyle Koch a 6 pack for 45min or so of guided practice at the Nat a few months ago. Don't let Jim hear about these alternate configurations :no: . I still get weird looks every time I rent a reg without a inflator hose (my wing came with one) and no BC.

Back
Top Bottom