Regulator Hose Configuration

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deadly_risk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have been slowly amassing gear since I started diving last may, now I own everything but a regulator set. I have one issue that I was not able to resolve by reading through past posts on this forum and elsewhere on the internet, and that is what regulator hose lengths and configuration would be most appropriate. I am a recreational diver, and will be purely that for quite a while, even though after another year or two I would like to take fundies or similar shooting for a rec pass just for the skill.

I hesitate on hose size and placement because my OW was taught with a primary reg, computer console, and a AIR2. My issue with this, is that I no longer use a AIR2 (DSS bp/w with standard inflator) which leaves a secondary reg as my next most viable option, even though I have no practice in using one.

I like the necklace secondary, not only because of its ease of use, but because I am use to donating my primary and this option will not change that. So how long is the standard necklace hose? Or am I missing something in this thinking?

I'm not so sure on what I should do for my primary regulator. In OW it was a hose straight from the first stage to the secondary, not wrapping around or tucked anywhere. Sharing air was a very up close proposition. So what configuration do you think would work best here? A short hose just like OW or a little longer 5', 7', something else? And what would be the best way to get some practice with the setup?

...I like the necklace secondary, not only because of its ease of use, but because I am use to donating my primary and this option will not change that. So how long is the standard necklace hose? Or am I missing something in this thinking?

It's hard to comment on hose configurations as different equipment configures a bit differently. Although I strongly disagree with primary donation, I would imagine that a 30 or 36 inch hose would be satisfactory for your secondary (whatever is on your regulator octopus). Check to be sure that it's length is sufficient.

If you need a longer hose, they are readily available. With the choice of your configuration a 5 foot primary should be all you need. I'm aware that some people use longer hoses than this, but 5' seems sufficient.

The long hose is becoming increasingly popular, and offers lots of flexibility while sharing gas. You can tuck a 7' hose in your belt if you don't have a can light, or route 5' hose under your arm. Another option is a 40" hose under the arm and straight to the mouth, perhaps with a swivel at the regulator to make the routing nicer. Any of the above will give you more room while sharing gas without a big loop of hose sticking out. The most important thing is to practice with whatever you use, making sure nothing is trapping the hose so that you can't deploy it. The short hose to the secondary is often 22"-24" on a single tank rig, and this is a place where the new ultra flexible Miflex hoses shine.

With my primary on a 5 foot hose, my alt is bungeed on a 22 inch hose.

I got certified using a conventional primary and an octo and then tried the longhose/necklace set up during the Essentials course. I've had one OOA incident and my (out of air) buddy failed to display demonstration quality etiquette in requesting and waiting for my octo. He just grabbed the primary out of my mouth. In his panic he wasn't very partial to the arm/jacket holding, huggy-feely stuff either. To me longhose/necklace seems a more realistic setup even in OW dives and that's what I've come to adopt.

My recreational rig features a 5-foot long hose and a 22 or 24-inch necklace hose (can't remember which). It took time and experimentation to figure out the optimal necklace hose length, but there's no sin in that (and hey - it's always good to have spare hoses laying around!).

I suggest configuring your rig the way you think you'd like it, and splashing with a buddy in confined water (pool, shallow part of a quarry, whatever) to try it out. Practice OOA drills, BC doffing/donning (the first few attempts when wearing a necklace are always quite funny!), and find what works and what doesn't. Be prepared to teak your setup a few time until you have something that works for you.

... And what would be the best way to get some practice with the setup?

Well, the best way would be to find a buddy/instructor who is familiar with long hose setups. The next best choice is to read up and maybe search for S-drill on youtube so you get a good idea of what to do. I think the 5thD-x s-drill can be found on youtube. They try it out a few times on land. Once you have it worked out on land, try it with a buddy in shallow water or a pool. If you have any hesitation, wait to use the long hose setup until you have instruction in it's use. I suspect this shouldn't be a problem if you have used an integrated octo/inflator.

I got certified using a conventional primary and an octo and then tried the longhose/necklace set up during the Essentials course. I've had one OOA incident and my (out of air) buddy failed to display demonstration quality etiquette in requesting and waiting for my octo. He just grabbed the primary out of my mouth. In his panic he wasn't very partial to the arm/jacket holding, huggy-feely stuff either. To me longhose/necklace seems a more realistic setup even in OW dives and that's what I've come to adopt.

I've seen it twice where an out of gas diver could not see the octo being given to them. They were focused on the working one in the donor's mouth.
I'm diving DIR now for mainly that reason when diving OC.

I started using the long hose setup this year...5' primary and a 2' octo. I also have both on a swivel connection. Octo is on a necklace. I found that the swivel lets the hose lay closer to my body where I have it clipped (which can be pulled out if necessary). I have not yet experienced an OOA incident but have had a couple panicked diver situations where the diver had a hard time sucking air and panicked and the longer hose has helped.

Hi y'all, I've got a newbie question in relation to reg hose configurations..

Say I got an integrated inflator+octo in my setup (Zeagle Octo-Z).. can I use that as a backup octo and still attach a regular long hose octo to my configuration?
Is there anything wrong/bad/unworkable in such setup?

Thanks in advance :)

Back
Top Bottom