Regulator Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am a HOG dealer and love the reg. I own nine of them personally. I have the conversion kit on hand. But for your new diver father I would not recommend it. Unless he plans on diving his butt off. If he does not plan on going into tech diving you'd be better off with an Edge Epic Cold. Balanced, sealed 1st stage, Balanced adjustable second stage, and hose. I'm guessing you want a full reg set up with gauges. If so that is going to put you over your budget.

Unless you go with the EXP. It's what my GF dives and it works. Is it a tech reg? No. But it's a great recreational reg at a good price. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference on recreational dives between it and regs costing hundreds more. Right now for the July 4th Holiday I can sell you one for 15% off the Advertised price on my website.

So the EXP is 219.99 (or 244.99 for the cold version) minus 15% = 187.00
An escape octo reg 94.99 for 81.00
and a 3 gauge console for 171.00 or a 2 gauge and get him a wrist compass for 136.00 and you have your 400.00 reg set (404.00 actually)

And all you need to add is the inflator hose that should come with any BC you buy.

HOG is good performrance and good value, I have some myself. The only one down side of it is that local support may not exist depend on your location. If you have LDS support HOG, I would say go for it. If you don't, then have it serviced or looked at can be hassled. Of course you can decide to learn to service and diagnose it youself.

It is also where the major brands have advantage. If you happen to travel outside of US, you are a lot more likely to find support for Aqualung and Scubapro than anything else. If you dad will be a vacation diver, this matters.

Also, another vote for Yoke 1st stage for 1st reg, single tank diver.

any other solid options that I can read about?

Go to your local dive shop. That's where the servicing will likely be done. That's where he is getting certified.

And think about this: buying someone a dive trip is a way better present than buying them gear. Buying them gear forces obligations on them, cleaning storing etc.

Once someone gets the diving bug they are going to want to make their own gear choices anyway.

I was looking at HOG and the price definitely seems to be right. What are the differences that will actually be noticed and/or felt between a HOG and an Aqualung Titan LX or ScubaPro Mk17/S600? I guess I am asking, why/how is the price so much lower?

Thanks

What your father needs is: 1) first stage, 2) second stage (2; 1 primary, 1 octopus) 3) Pressure Gauge. Your father will also need a depth gauge but may prefer a computer.

If you are interested in Scubapro you can contact Beaverdivers or Leisurepro, both are authorized dealers. Given the markup I would suspect you could probably get a MK17/S600 in the $400-$450 range. Aqualung supposedly does not allow online sales but that doesn't stop some dealers.

The reason I selected HOG is that they are changing out their product line and there are some deals to be had.

For example:

The D1 + the classic 2nd $179
Duroc and hose $100
SPG $ 75
Din to Yoke $ 30
Total $384

You could inquire as to cost of having the regulator converted to yoke and save the cost of the DIN to Yoke adapter.

Divers Supply sometimes sells the Hog second stage with a Yoke first for $179.00, I am sure Cave Adventurers can do it too.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 02:25 PM ----------

Go to your local dive shop. That's where the servicing will likely be done. That's where he is getting certified.

And think about this: buying someone a dive trip is a way better present than buying them gear. Buying them gear forces obligations on them, cleaning storing etc.

Once someone gets the diving bug they are going to want to make their own gear choices anyway.

My recommendation is to ignore this advice. It is self-serving advice given from a dive professional. Buy local so you can pay more.

First, you have no obligation to buy from the shop that certified your father.

Second, buying a dive trip imposes obligations on people too. Maybe it is not the place he would want to go.

Third, it is often no more expensive to send out the gear to get serviced than to service it locally. Jim L can service gear as well as Scuba Toys, DRIS, DGX, CA, etc. If your dad is a DIY he can even service it himself.

Fourth, I assumed you talked to your father as to what he wants. Hog gear is liked by those that use it and criticized by those that don't. Many divers feel no difference in breathing between an Hog and a more expensive regulator and those that do say it is not much.

While you are free to your opinion, I never once asked where I should buy equipment from. I listened to my dive shop when I got certified and spent way more than I should have and have been unhappy with multiple aspects of my gear. Therefore, I will not be taking a self-serving opinion from any dive shop for future gear purchases. They just tried to get me to drop nearly 3x the cost of a bp/w setup. Every decision I make towards diving gear will be a well informed decision and will most likely be the best value. It's unlikely that the any of the local dive shops will fall into the best value category.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 07:43 PM ----------

I am a HOG dealer and love the reg. I own nine of them personally. I have the conversion kit on hand. But for your new diver father I would not recommend it. Unless he plans on diving his butt off. If he does not plan on going into tech diving you'd be better off with an Edge Epic Cold. Balanced, sealed 1st stage, Balanced adjustable second stage, and hose. I'm guessing you want a full reg set up with gauges. If so that is going to put you over your budget.

Unless you go with the EXP. It's what my GF dives and it works. Is it a tech reg? No. But it's a great recreational reg at a good price. You will be hard pressed to tell the difference on recreational dives between it and regs costing hundreds more. Right now for the July 4th Holiday I can sell you one for 15% off the Advertised price on my website.

So the EXP is 219.99 (or 244.99 for the cold version) minus 15% = 187.00
An escape octo reg 94.99 for 81.00
and a 3 gauge console for 171.00 or a 2 gauge and get him a wrist compass for 136.00 and you have your 400.00 reg set (404.00 actually)

And all you need to add is the inflator hose that should come with any BC you buy.

Jim,

Thanks for the reply but I'm only looking for a 1st and 2nd stage. Everything else has been taken care of. I will take a look at the Edge Epic.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 07:43 PM ----------

Jim,

Thanks for the reply but I'm only looking for a 1st and 2nd stage. Everything else has been taken care of. I will take a look at the Edge Epic.

Crux,

Jim can set you up how you want, he wasn't sure if you needed the other stuff. I'm looking to buy a mask from him and since its mail order he is gonna ship it to me, let me try it on in the pool for fit, if it fits, I keep it, if not I get refunded. He does his best to go the extra mile for the sale.

As far as the edge, I do think they actually got rated as a best buy even though they don't even advertise with the publication.

Crux,

Jim can set you up how you want, he wasn't sure if you needed the other stuff. I'm looking to buy a mask from him and since its mail order he is gonna ship it to me, let me try it on in the pool for fit, if it fits, I keep it, if not I get refunded. He does his best to go the extra mile for the sale.

As far as the edge, I do think they actually got rated as a best buy even though they don't even advertise with the publication.

Do you know where that was? I'd be interested to read it. cheers

Crux, if you do not want the HOG then check around with Scubapro dealers to see if they have an older Subgear Cayman around. Subgear is Scubapro's value brand. The older model is a MK17/S555, I have seen them sold new from an authorized dealer for around $275. The new model is the same as a MK17/S600, call or email Beaverdivers and ask for a quote. Some people have reported purchasing one for around $400 or so.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom