Regulator Head Strap?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toodive4

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Since most drownings that occur in diving occur because the regulator is lost from the mouth, what about a band or strap of some kind that slips over the regulator and is worn much like a mask strap. It would hold the regulator in the mouth. This would be of particular use if a diver experienced vertigo. Instead of losing his/ her reg and not being able to locate it, it would stay in the mouth. In an unconscious diver, the reg would also stay in the mouth and still deliver air if the unconscious diver were still breathing. I designed one for my regulator and it works great. It is still easy to remove when I need to swith to my alternate, but it holds my reg firmly in place... What do you think?

There are certainly advantages to be gained from something like this. The main issue I think would need to be sorted out is straight-forward air sharing.

R..

Between this thread and the one on why no one makes regulators that announce you are low on air I am convinced today must be the day to re-invent the wheel.

Second stages with retaining straps used to be pretty common in the 1960's and into the early 70's. They would incorporate a mouthpiece with tabs on it to accomodate snaps that would attach to each end of an adjustable rubber strap. I am not sure exactly why they died out as it was before my time, but I suspect that air sharing complications, comfort and improvements in mouthpiece design were all factors.

I am not sure it would be all that effective for an unconcious diver as in an unconcious state as I don't think the diver would maintain an adequate seal around the mouthpiece and would potentially inhale water and drown anyway. If you are planning on an O2 hit or other loss of conciousness event, a full face mask is a much better way to go and a new Cressi style FFM can be had for $50.00 to $75.00 on line and cna be used with any second stage.

I think it is texdiveguy that has made one out of some sort of rubber tubing (said you can get it at home depot) and ziptied the ends with the ziptie that holds on the mouth peice to the regulator... i thought it was a good idea... especially if your reg hose got caught on something and pulled, you wouldnt have to search too long to recover and in an OOA situation, it would help prevent someone from just ripping it out of your mouth... or they'd still rip in out and kill your neck!

I use surgical tubing to attach with nylon snap ties to the regulator. I get the tubing at local fishing shops. I make the tube long so as not to interfere with turning my head. It's handy to find the regulator after snorkeling out from a beach. Just remember to remove the tube from around Your neck before flopping the tank down in the boat or tailgate.
I old Scubapro mk5 had snaps with a rubber lanyard to the regulator. The snaps were bulky for some. Bill

I've hear of them as relief for TMJ, it's a jaw joint disorder, I forget the latin behind the letters. With composite second stages getting light as air and mouthpiece technology and TMJ treatment advances it's probably a wanning need served by the DIY sector.

Pete

toodive4:
Since most drownings that occur in diving occur because the regulator is lost from the mouth, what about a band or strap of some kind that slips over the regulator and is worn much like a mask strap. It would hold the regulator in the mouth. This would be of particular use if a diver experienced vertigo. Instead of losing his/ her reg and not being able to locate it, it would stay in the mouth. In an unconscious diver, the reg would also stay in the mouth and still deliver air if the unconscious diver were still breathing. I designed one for my regulator and it works great. It is still easy to remove when I need to swith to my alternate, but it holds my reg firmly in place... What do you think?

DA-Aquamaster speaks more truth than he knows.

1) Head strap for regulator... It's been done and it wasn't real good.

Yes in the 70's and before, most regulators came with a head strap (really more of a neck-strap). And indeed it was insufficient to protect unconcious divers for reasons given by DA-Aquamaster above (inadequate mouth seal).

Now, here is why this practice died off: In those days only professionals or instructors had secondary air sources. Average Joe diver and his buddy each had only a single second stage to breathe from; no secondaries. In an AO emergency, you shared your buddy's single second stage by alternating taking breaths from it (two breaths at a time) and and passing it back and forth while making your ascent. This was called buddy-breating and is currently considered a dangerous to practice. (It should be obvous why.)

Now, if your buddy's second stage was attached to his head with a strap, you couldn't pass the reg easily, Even more important, when you were gasping and shuddering frok lack of air you couldn't just swim up to buddy and grab the reg out of his mouth to snatch a lifesaving breath if it was stgrapped to his head. You would probably end up pulling it out of his mouth but be unable to get it to your mouth leaving both of you choking on water.

So, the head strap was considered a hazard. Instructors and dive shop operators counseled divers buying new regulators to remove the strap that came with it and throw it away. Come the advent of "octopus rigs" with secondaries, in the mid 70's and the strap was still considered a hazard because (and this is still the case), the out-of-air-buddy who is gagging after inhaling seawater is much more likely to come up to you and snatch your primary out of your mouth than to look around trying to find you secondary or to politely sign "out-of-air" and wait for you to find and pass the secondary. Thus even today, the headstrap would be considered a hazard in an AO emergency and so it is not used.

2) Regs with alarms that announce low air... Been done and really not a bad idea:
Prior to the mid-70's a SPGwas a luxury or a toy. Some instructors or guides or deco divers had them but average Joe did not. Instead what he had was an alarm that would tell him when his tank pressure dropped below 600. Since we didn't do safety stops then outside of deco diving and since there were no BCD's to inflate, 600 reserve for a non-deco, open water dive was pretty much adequate. You only needed enought to make your ascent.

The alarm provide was more compelling than any audio or visual alarm and could not be ignored because when the tank pressure dropped below 600 the alarm signal was to cut off the diver's air. The diver was then forced to pull a lever to release the 600 psi reserve in order to continue to breathe.

Now air was not cut-off suddenly but gradually so at first you might not notice and then a minute later you'd say "Wha? Why is it getting hard to breathe?" and then you'd say "Oh yeah! I must be down to my reserve." and you'd pull the reserve lever, note the time and make your ascent. This alarm was located in the tank valve rather than the regulator and it was called a "J-Valve" and you can still buy them on Ebay today. They are very reliable but now that everyone uses an SPG, a J-Valve is just one more thing that might malfunction so it has gone out of vogue.

I wouldn't mind seeing them come back with a user-settable reserve pressure so you could dial in 1500 for that offshore drift dive or 500 for that shallow practice dive 20 yards offshore in the quarry.

A couple of reasons the reserve 500-600psig "J"-valve has been replaced is because when the diver breathes slowly and easily then a diver might not feel the increased suction needed for air until the pressure is very low in the tank. Also the tank valve could be "Bumped" which would flip down the "J"-valve stem and 500psig reserve would not be felt until the pressure was only 50-150psig.
Once in a while if the divers wouldn't clean Their tank valves and corrosion built then the valve would be "Stuck" in the up position and would be very hard to pull the reserve. Just memories..........Bill

Ductape will work too I guess.

In Europe J-valves aren't an option anymore. J-valves available today don't work well enough to meet the EU regulations, and manufacturers haven'n bordered to devolope new better models.
What's wrong with emergency practices when dealing with UW hazards? When have you last time tried to deal with OOA, FF or lost mask situation with your buddy? Proper training an common sens when preparing covers most of the situations without unreasonable risks.

Back
Top Bottom