Regulator Geeks 2: Scubapro's Balanced Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Missed most of it, grand kid watching can soften ones brain a bit, looked like it was a good meeting.

As requested, here is the old advisory on flipping your VIVA vane to improve performance.
20220315_202009.jpg

You guys just didn't give up! Three hours!
Wow!

Center-balanced regs for the next get-together, and Poseidon after that. Thanks for all your enthusiasm! Recording will be posted to YouTube in a week or so. I'll link it here.

RegGeek.png

As requested, here is the old advisory on flipping your VIVA vane to improve performance.
Either way, the crescent faces "forward." I.e. forward toward the diaphragm for MAX or forward toward the mouthpiece for MIN. Gotta love it.

I am bummed that I missed it live...had to work...but...am grateful I can watch it on youtube soon :D Thank you so much for your time, efforts, and expertise, @rsingler!!

Either way, the crescent faces "forward." I.e. forward toward the diaphragm for MAX or forward toward the mouthpiece for MIN. Gotta love it.
@Couv , you've just given me the key to finally being able to remember which way is which!

Of course! Facing toward the mouthpiece is facing backward when looking at the vane. And since it's the orientation which makes VIVA function worse, it is the BACKWARD thing to do!
You're magnificent!

@rsingler - I can't imagine the effort it had to take to identify all those loose parts and put all those regs back together....
Yeah, rub it in @rhwestfall , rub it in! :rofl3:
Someday when I grow up, I'll have enough room to work.

I’ve never noticed much difference

With the crescent toward the diaphragm and level, the air path from the air barrel to the mouthpiece is least impacted as it goes up/over the cut-out. Obviously, when tilted (in either case), it causes a big disturbance in the flow path, decreasing the venturi. When the crescent is faced toward the diver, the air must pass over/around the larger leading edge (which is larger in this orientation), again adding some turbulence....

Crescent facing the diaphragm is "more better"....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom