Regulator for diving in a marina?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbuck88

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, I am new here and have been reading as much as I can trying to pick out a regulator set up that will work best for me.

A little about me: I am working at a marina and will be diving primarily to repair our infrastructure and occasionally on boats. I will also be responsible for completing a underwater survey of the marina sea floor. Of course I will be diving for fun as well, but that is not why I need help.

I have been reading up on regulators for the last few weeks, but I am having a tough time trying to answer specific questions.

I was told that the oily film on the water will wreak havoc on a unsealed regulator by a local diver. Is that true? Also is the silt on the sea floor something that I need to worry about? There is a noticeable sheen on the water from time to time and I don't want to have to worry about it.

I was looking at SP MK25evo/S600 deep blue or a Atomic ST1.
I think the local dive shop carries atomic, SP, and Oceanic. If there is any other recommendations

Get a used US Divers Conshelf or AquaLung Titan with no octo and just a pressure gauge (no console).
You should be able to find one and have it serviced for not much more than $100.

I would not get either of those options. Dive Rite XT regulators would be my recommendation, but if you want to stay with the local shop, I'd go with a Scubapro MK17/G260v

Conshelf regulators have been used by the Navy since single hose regulators came out Ive dove them in much worse conditions than a light sheen on the water. That are also inexpensive and easy to repair. With that said any regulator is fine for what you are doing. Get a first stage regulator and make up a 50 ft hose from first stage to second stage. Then lay the scuba tank on the pier for working in shallow water under a boat. That way you wont be banging the bottle and scratching and chipping the boats bottom while doing work. It will only take one dive to see what I'm talking about when you get a job to clean the bottom of a large cruiser or sail boat. It's not like being on land, when you push or rub the bottom with a greenie pad your body in the water wants to move away from your hand,fins are a must. Good luck

Thanks, I would like to stick with the brands I can get serviced locally. A oily sheen seems like a non-issue for fouling a regulator. I have been looking around and haven't found anyone complaining about it, but just heard from a local diver that it was a problem.

I do like the idea/looks of a brownies third lung kayak diving kit.

I hope you understand the high risk for electrical shock when working underwater around boats, especially those with metal hulls? Big risk. Be careful please!

You don't have to go big bucks to get an environmentally sealed reg. Look at the Aqualung Core Supreme (formerly the Titan LX Supreme). Aqualung calls their sealed regs Supreme to indicate they are sealed and tuned to perform better in cold water (will work fine in warm water too). You don't need a really high performance reg when diving in shallow water.

Yes, I understand the risks. I have been snorkeling for a while fixing what was close to the surface. I am just making the jump now to get to the deeper waterlines. I also will be eventually doing some recreational diving so I would like to get something that will perform as well as possible.

I will look at the MK17/G260v

Dude.. get an OLD Sherwood regulator, The Brut first stage is completely sealed, and even has a little rubber vent to allow bubbles to escape and ensure no water or silt (or contaminants) can possibly get into the regulator. I used one of these for golf ball diving for years, which was very dirty and silty water - they are perfect and cheap.

No way would I buy a new (or even expensive regulator) to be diving less than 30 feet in dirty water.. If you want to buy a used one of these regulators (for cheap) send me a PM. I can hook you up with a work horse reg that is super easy to service and maintain..

I think that you will be better served by having two sets.
I recommended the Conshelf not because it's cheap (although it is) but because I can't think of a better reg for your purpose......okay, an old Sherwood is a close 2nd, but for overall dependability, ruggedness, performance and readily available parts I'd still go with a Conshelf.

Definitely get a diaphragm like the MK17 if you're going to go that route - everything past the diaphragm i sealed by design.It'll do better in the silt/sheen than the Mk25.

To seal the ST1 requires a lot of expensive Christolube every service - I think it's up to about $50 per service now.

hey, one of the few times tbone and I agree....:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom