Regulator feels like it wants to come out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This diver(me) has no idea what you're talking about.........---it's not like that usually, just in that quick selfie I took years ago.....I'd try a longer hose, if it bothers you that much......

EDIT:...ya'll like that narrow PD???.....61/58, but have my parents to thank for that..:)

13926321214_6cb461226d_o.jpg
[/URL]A selfie....Cozumel Feb. 2010 by GEAUXtiger, on Flickr[/IMG]

perhaps you are setting your tank too low on your BC?

Moving it up such that the first stage regulator gets closer to your head might result in the hose not pulling on the reg.

perhaps you are setting your tank too low on your BC?

Moving it up such that the first stage regulator gets closer to your head might result in the hose not pulling on the reg.

i've tried it at different heights with similar results...

i've tried it at different heights with similar results...

I own that reg (Z1, actually) and the hose that came with it.

If you have it at the right height and everything is aligned properly, it won't pull. You might try bringing it back to the dealer with your BC and a tank, and ask them to show you how to get it all adjusted properly.

While you're certainly welcome to buy all the hoses you want, I can pretty much guarantee that it's not pulling because of the OEM hose.

Take the reg to an Atomic dealer and get him to take a look at it set up on a tank and holding the second stage in the correct position that it would be in if you had it in your mouth. Despite what others are saying I can assure you that there ARE some hoses that have a kink in them that makes them useless and cannot be fixed- I have had two replaced lately and in both cases the dealer insisted that there was nothing wrong with the hose until I showed him (as above), they then agreed and replaced the hoses with new ones- no further problem.

I'm using the Z2x regulator with the swivel & rubber hose that come with it. Last dive (and i've felt it on other dives), the regulator feels like it wants to pull itself out of my mouth (to my right) unless i'm really biting hard on the mouthpiece no matter how i move the swivel. I know a custom mouthpiece might help like a seacure. My guess is that the hose isn't flexible enough for me and i should switch to a miflex hose. (is the jam nut i've heard about a separate piece that has to be ordered or is currently part of the reg? ideally was thinking a 5' miflex with a swivel

Have you tried talking to it? :)

Sounds like the hose is either too short or the routing is wrong.

R..

Hi Diver85....From the looks of the "selfie" it looks like it might be a port position issue or a hose length issue. The Z series has the fixed seven port LP and it can be that the regulator hose is not in the most advantageous position. I would recommend moving to a port further back on the first stage and seeing if that makes any difference in the comfort while in diving. The hose length would also help if the port position does not take off too much of that strain.

Thank you everyone for you thoughtful answers and help inside of this forum.

If you feel it being pulled to the right, try turning your head to the left. If it pulls more, then your hose is likely too short.
If instead you feel the reg being pushed to the left when you turn your head to the right, your hose might be too long.
If you get a combination of those two effects, a flex hose might do the trick.
If the reg wants to come out either way without actually feeling any pull (it's just kinda loose unless you bite real hard), a different mouth piece might work.
For me, one of these did the trick:
comfort-no-bite-silicone-regulator-mouthpiece-0.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom