Regulator feels like it wants to come out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iluvtheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm using the Z2x regulator with the swivel & rubber hose that come with it. Last dive (and i've felt it on other dives), the regulator feels like it wants to pull itself out of my mouth (to my right) unless i'm really biting hard on the mouthpiece no matter how i move the swivel. I know a custom mouthpiece might help like a seacure. My guess is that the hose isn't flexible enough for me and i should switch to a miflex hose. (is the jam nut i've heard about a separate piece that has to be ordered or is currently part of the reg? ideally was thinking a 5' miflex with a swivel

I would go with the miflex. All my hoses are miflex and with no swivel I don't have a problem.

I would go with the miflex. All my hoses are miflex and with no swivel I don't have a problem.

same here. milfex hoses on both my M1 and Z2x(both no swivel), work great. planning on purchasing a B2 shortly and outfitting with milfex hoses again,,,,,,,,

reefman
key largo

I have found that the swivel moves to where it wants to be and stays there. Typically at the end of the range of motion. Switching to a 5' milflex will probably get you the results you are looking for. However, you might also change the hose port location to one that is one further forward. The Z2 ports can be at any location and no two Z2s are exactly alike.

As for the jam nut. Yes, you will need to buy that separately as it is not needed with the swivel hose. If you want one let me know I have an extra that I would sell ya.

Last edited:
the octo i have while not the best breathing (aeris A2) -- came with the miflex and i tried it out sat during the dive. it felt fine soo :)
i should be able to get the jam nut from the shop since they are an Atomic Dealer.

Are you sure the hose is long enough?

This sounds a little like a problem I have had recently (and never had before in 30 yrs of diving??!), I bought a new T2X Atomic and the hose/swivel has a "memory" or kink in it so that when I position the first stage in the usual upside down position on a tank with the hose over my right shoulder the hose wants to pull hard downward onto my right shoulder and is resistant to any movement- in other words uncomfortable and useless! If I turn the first stage turret up (so the hose is now bending in the opposite direction when over my right shoulder) it works perfectly. There seems to be a "spine" or set in the hose that is resistant to bending in one direction.
I was not overly concerned because I put Miflex hoses on everything so I installed the jam nut and a new Miflex 30" black hose- guess what, exactly the same situation!!! What the!!!!

I'm using the Z2x regulator with the swivel & rubber hose that come with it. Last dive (and i've felt it on other dives), the regulator feels like it wants to pull itself out of my mouth (to my right) unless i'm really biting hard on the mouthpiece no matter how i move the swivel. I know a custom mouthpiece might help like a seacure. My guess is that the hose isn't flexible enough for me and i should switch to a miflex hose. (is the jam nut i've heard about a separate piece that has to be ordered or is currently part of the reg? ideally was thinking a 5' miflex with a swivel

The fix isn't to bite harder or change mouthpieces or get a longer hose. The fix is to fix what's making it pull.

The regulator port the hose is on needs to be about at the level of your mouth and the hose needs to come out of the reg horizontally.

The hose needs to be the correct length so that it enters the side of the reg, parallel to your body. If it's too long it will try to push the reg out forward, and if it's too short it will try to twist your head to the right.

The easiest way to figure out what's going on is to have someone look at you in the water.

A miflex hose will help, but might be an unnecessary expense. It's likely that your tank is too high or too low or twisted or you're using the wrong low pressure port on the reg or that your reg is mounted incorrectly.

Once you get everything lined up properly, the hose that came with the reg should be just fine, especially with the swivel.

Also, while "all the cool kids" have long hoses, there's no reason to have one on your primary if you're an Open Water diver, since you have no need to share air inside a restriction (you won't be in one) and there's no need to have to swim side-by-side while sharing air, since your training requires that you and your buddy ascend directly to the surface during an emergency like Out-of-Air.

There's nothing inherently wrong with a long hose, except that it will give you a bunch more hose to have to route and keep track of during your dive.

hmmm... well the jam nut is on order and going with the 60" braided hose that he has in stock. 84" is too long for me since just do open water and don't have the cash to replace the octo with a good 2nd stage yet.. saving for a camera 1st...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom