Regulator failure after service?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dnhill

Contributor
Reaction score
The only time I have ever had a regulator problem was just after service. Something about a bad new part. I was wondering if this is the most common regulator problem.

dnhill

I wouldn't say it's the most common. I think more common [at least in my experience] comes on the tuning end; where the seats 'break in' and throw the tuning of the reg off, so I tune when I finish servicing mine, and then re-tune after a few dives.

the other common issue I've seen, in Apeks at least, is that I have found the factory spec IP is too high for cold water and I've personally had better results setting the intermediate pressure lower then the factory specs, and it's also worked for others that had the same 'bubbling reg' issue when they gotten to depth.

What kind of failure was it? It could be as simple as an o-ring that got nicked when it was installed or as Spectre said above, IP/seat break-in are also potential problem areas.

Although this could be coincidence, it is not likely. If it is a common problem. It is with a particular shop. I wouldn't say that it is across the board. Usually, if a shop doesn't have any issues after service they are doing it right (excuse the pun). Although in peak season the more you do the more chance you have to have something go wrong I guess. No one is perfect.

I don't get it. The dive shops want you to service your reg every year even if you don't use it. So you take a perfectly good working regulator in for the annual service and they fix it with a brand new bad part. Didn't the reg work better with the old good parts in it?

Well cnctina, you're edging into one of those gray areas of diving - annually servicing something that is working just fine. My own regs do not get serviced annually - I looked 'em over a lot, check things here and there, and just keep diving. This is not for everyone to do - I can also overhaul my gear if I do find a problem.
Regulator repairs are a hit-or-miss item in the industry. There are artists out there who do awesome work reg after reg; and then there are others whom I wouldn't trust to dump the garbage without a rope tied around their waist. Maybe you find a great one, or maybe you get a dimbulb doing the overhaul. Scary...
When I did dive charters, instead of servicing all my regs annually as a liability precaution, it was easier to just sell them and buy new every year.

The one saving grace for those who have little choice but to trust the LDS is that servicing a regulator is fairly easy. And when you do it wrong, the most common resultant problems are annoying leaks rather than life threatening failures. But the latter are not out of the question especially when the service involves properly torquing soft metal parts.

Maybe you should talk to your shop about an equipment repair course that teaches you how to check them out, diagnose and deal with common problems, and measure and adjust IP and cracking pressure.

Problem will be that once you have made that step, It's not much further to DIY service.

I used to have the same problem until I started doing my own. I've done more than a few and I haven't had a "bad" new part yet.

The equipment courses dive shops offer that I'm familiar with aren't "reapair" courses and one trouble with them is that you're liable to be taking the class from the same guy who is hosing up your regs. LOL

Tom Winters:
There are artists out there who do awesome work reg after reg; and then there are others whom I wouldn't trust to dump the garbage without a rope tied around their waist. Maybe you find a great one, or maybe you get a dimbulb doing the overhaul.

This makes me feel scared.

The one saving grace for those who have little choice but to trust the LDS is that servicing a regulator is fairly easy. And when you do it wrong, the most common resultant problems are annoying leaks rather than life threatening failures.

This makes me feel a little better but I still feel scared. Maybe I should put my buddy on a lanyard.

The only problem I have ever had wih a reg, was right after a LDS "serviced" and the IP would not stop creeping. I had to actually polish the HP seat inside the first stage to fix this problem.

I am assuming they nicked the HP seat when servicing allowing the IP to creep. Had I dove with this reg without checking the IP first could of caused an LP hose rupture very easily.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom