Regulator Conundrum!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello,

I'm posting this in here since I'm breaking into a more technical, DIRish method of diving. So please pardon my inexperience and seemingly irrational questions. I'm only after the information!

I'm preparing to purchase a doubles setup for my Tech class. What my question is are there comparable differences between the Apeks TEK3 and the Apeks DS4 first stages?

I believe I'm partial to the XTX200 second stages for the rig as well. I like the larger exhaust tee to get the bubbles out of my field of view since I 'm restricted to the left side only. Any thoughts on those regulators about how well they breathe and such from anyone who uses them?

Thanks in advance!

I believe I'm partial to the XTX200 second stages for the rig as well. I like the larger exhaust tee to get the bubbles out of my field of view since I 'm restricted to the left side only.

restricted on the left side??

Yes. I can only see out of my left eye.

For most people a few bubbles at the edge of their peripheral vision doesnt bother them. For me, it's a few bubbles blocking half my vision.

The larger exhaust tee's, or a Poseidon Xstream routed over the left shoulder, keeps the bubbles out of my view.

Tek 3's cost a whole pile. Nice but I don't know if they are worth the extra cash. Then when you want to replace one...... can you buy a left or right one seperately? I have had XTX 200's and XTX 50's. Get the 50's, even though thy don't have shiny numbers and letters on the front, they cost lest and I believe they are the same inside. Lots cheaper.

The Tek 3's route very cleanly on a set of doubles. But you can come up with acceptable routing with a set of DS4's as well. I use the DS4's on my doubles and can obtain clean routing.

The XTX50's are a great breathing reg. The new ones come with a set of large and small exhaust vents. I use the large ones on my primary and I use the small one on my backup. Two of these can be had for far less than the cost of the Tek 3's.

The Tek 3's come with XTX50 second stages.

Not to mention that if you ever decided to sell them in the future, you can sell an XTX50/DS4 to just about anyone for use on singles or doubles and you'd have two of them to sell. The Tek 3's are doubles specific....limiting the resale of them.

Shane

I'm sure you could fairly easily modify a regulator with a different exhaust tee if you are somewhat handy. I wouldn't even be surprised if you could exchange exhaust tees from a couple different second stages.

Tom

I'm sure you could fairly easily modify a regulator with a different exhaust tee if you are somewhat handy. I wouldn't even be surprised if you could exchange exhaust tees from a couple different second stages.

Tom

some pvc and duct tape, you should be good to go.

Hello,

I'm posting this in here since I'm breaking into a more technical, DIRish method of diving. So please pardon my inexperience and seemingly irrational questions. I'm only after the information!

I'm preparing to purchase a doubles setup for my Tech class. What my question is are there comparable differences between the Apeks TEK3 and the Apeks DS4 first stages?

I believe I'm partial to the XTX200 second stages for the rig as well. I like the larger exhaust tee to get the bubbles out of my field of view since I 'm restricted to the left side only. Any thoughts on those regulators about how well they breathe and such from anyone who uses them?

Thanks in advance!

The XTX200's come with the FSR first stages.
XTX50's come with DS4's and TEK3's first stages.

The XTX200 second stages are the same thing as the XTX50. Different face plate and sticker.
The XTX50's come with both the small and the large exhaust Tees (user changeable).

The TEK3 is throwing money away. Not a large improvement over the DS4 really as far as hose routing goes and internally it is a DS4.
I dive DS4''s and have no issues with the hose routing at all.

^ I second this.

The Tek 3's route very cleanly on a set of doubles. But you can come up with acceptable routing with a set of DS4's as well. I use the DS4's on my doubles and can obtain clean routing.

The XTX50's are a great breathing reg. The new ones come with a set of large and small exhaust vents. I use the large ones on my primary and I use the small one on my backup. Two of these can be had for far less than the cost of the Tek 3's.

The Tek 3's come with XTX50 second stages.

Not to mention that if you ever decided to sell them in the future, you can sell an XTX50/DS4 to just about anyone for use on singles or doubles and you'd have two of them to sell. The Tek 3's are doubles specific....limiting the resale of them.

Shane

Expense and resale...two points I hadn't connected yet. Thanks!

Tom

some pvc and duct tape, you should be good to go.

Good points on the McGuyverism. I had pondered this before with the regs I have. Especially the Atomic, where modification is very possible. The Poseidon however would be a bit of a chore. I figure since I have to buy a set regardless, I would get something that comes standard with a "bubble reducing method" of some sort. I hate to have to buy new gear and modify it the minute it hits my hands.

The XTX200's come with the FSR first stages.
XTX50's come with DS4's and TEK3's first stages.

The XTX200 second stages are the same thing as the XTX50. Different face plate and sticker.
The XTX50's come with both the small and the large exhaust Tees (user changeable).

The TEK3 is throwing money away. Not a large improvement over the DS4 really as far as hose routing goes and internally it is a DS4.
I dive DS4''s and have no issues with the hose routing at all.

Thank you. I didn't realize how the packaging went in terms of model designations. All that extre money just for a bit of chrome and a cutsy sticker. I'm not out to impress anyone at 130', nor when i'm all snotted up on the surface!

Good information at every turn...I love this place!

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom