Regulator Choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aknavy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I currently dive an older Oceanic Delta reg set that I bought used. I'm about to add a pony/bailout bottle to my setup, and that got me looking at regulators. The local shop here sells Atomic, and I'm also interested in Hog and Deep 6. Considering replacing my primary regulator and running the same regs on pony and primary (secondary is an octo/inflate). Diving is primarily Gulf of Mexico, but may expand as we travel alot.

With that being said, is there any reason to spend the money on an Atomic? Anything negative about the Deep 6, which is my current choice? Thanks!

the atomic theoretically may last longer if you are sloppy with maintenance for the higher end models made from more corrosion resistant materials.

the deep 6 route will be a lot easier on your wallet.

it is all a crap shoot. Look at what is the history. Major brands create and drop stuff, other brads create and drop stuff.... you will pay $$$$$$ to keep up with cell phones every couple years, but expect scuba stuff to last for decades. Some of us have solved that....

Go with the Deep6. Nothing wrong with Atomics, but they've gotta pay for the marketing wank somehow. I guarantee they're not eating those costs themselves.

I own and love my Atomic ST1 but am currently diving Deep 6 regs (as can be seen in my avatar). If you compare WOB and price point, the Deep 6 is an easy winner!

You don't want an Atonic reg on the pony bottle if you plan to keep the valve off until needed.

The reason is that the Seat Saver Orifice will let water travel back down the hose and flood the 1st stage.when it's not pressurized.

One nice thing about Atomic's SS1 octo/inflator is that it breathes the same as all their other models
. My normal dive buddy has one so I've seen but not used it. My primary reg is a T2 and before that I used a B1 which my buddy currently uses as his primary, It's really good gear and the 2 year/300 dive surface interval might save you some $$ over the long haul.

Also since Huish Outdoors recently bought Oceanic and already owns Atomic - it's possible your dealer can service both so you could use your existing Delta as a pony reg with a shorter hose..

I don't have any experience with this but have thought Zeagle's Envoy RaZor a good option for a pony since it incorporates the valve and 1st stage together. I do have normal Envoy but it's only a spare to my Atomics. It seems like quality gear but it never gets used..
350-6240%20envoy%20razor%2003.ashx.png

Last edited:
Thanks for all the input. Sounds like I'll be fine going with the Deep 6 regulators. As far as keeping the current Oceanic, I'll be selling that, complete with computer and octo, to recoup some of the cost of my upgraded computer and regs. Appreciate the feedback and the wealth of knowledge around here - I don't post much, but I do read alot!

it is all a crap shoot. Look at what is the history. Major brands create and drop stuff, other brads create and drop stuff.... you will pay $$$$$$ to keep up with cell phones every couple years, but expect scuba stuff to last for decades. Some of us have solved that....
LOL, yeah, buy stuff that is already decades old. :wink: . Mine are only 30 years old. Broken in, not worn out. (US Divers)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom