Regulator choice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivingCRNA

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I know, thread like this come up all the time. But I think this one is different.

I have been unsatisfied with the service from both shops in my little midwestern town. I do not want them to service anything of mine again.

I am also leary of sending regs in the mail to someone I have never seen.

I want a new set of regs for me and my wife. The wife is a warm air, warm water, blue sky diver. I dive the carribean with the wife, but also go into the cold, dark lake, am a nitrox diverm and have some tech aspirations. She wants a weight integrated BC now, I dive a BP/W.

We each need new regs after 10 years of diving. What will suit our needs and is servicable by ME. I want regs that I can order the parts kits without hassle, are bullet proof, and I can take care of and know it is done right. She also wants to be able to adjust her air flow in water.

What do y'all say? Zeagle from Scubatoys? Diverite? Are there other brands and regs that suit our needs?

Thanks!

There are plenty of good regs that will meet your needs. I'd suggest you give ST a call and talk to them about what you are looking for. They may also have the parts for your Dacor regs. Also this is the link to diveriteexpress: http://www.diveriteexpress.com/regs/regulators.shtml
Middle of the page has links to repair and owner manuals. Lower section lists parts and prices.

Good performance reg Dive Rite Rg2500.
I recommend Apeks atx200 and Subapro MK25/s600 reliable easy to get spare part.

safe dive

Apeks ATX50/DS4

Give Phil a call at www.Divesports.com. Excellent prices on Apeks, they come with a factory warranty. He can explain how this is possible, even though Aqua Lung does not allow internet sales. Apeks service kits are cheap and readily available. The service manuals are also available online. I have an ATX200 and a TX50/DS4. Can't tell the difference in breathing quality. They are both awesome. Nothing out there breathes better or is more bulletproof. The DS4 first stage is probably the most widely used of any in the tech diving community.

Zeagle also make great regs. Their regs are based on the Apeks design, with some modifications that they felt were needed. ScubaToys rocks and you will be able to get a good deal from them. I think you can even order the service kits from them if you want.

You should be able to get an Apeks ATX50/DS4 or an equivalent Zeagle reg in the $350 range.

There are alot of good regs out there and noone will be able to tell you which one will be right for you. You will get a lot of opinions, just like I have given you mine, but it really comes down to your personal preference. Any of the top regs will breathe great. If you aren't going to buy from a local shop, I would definitely give the guys listed above a call. They will both be able to hook you up with a great reg set at a good price. And they both offer great service.

dirthead:
Apeks ATX50/DS4

i second that

try these guys:

http://www.scubastore.com/eng/index.asp

you should be able to find the Apeks combo for under $300. these come
with a warranty card. the ATX40/US4 is also a great combo,
but not sealed and the second stage does not have an adjustment knob.

had my first experience with phil at dive sports. he was awesome very patient and helpful. 5 stars for what it's worth from a new guy

I am thinking hard about pulling the trigger on the Diverite regs. You can order it with a 5 foot hose and get the service parts with no hassle at all. i may get my wife's regs there for the same reason.

Do any of you have a reason to NOT go with Diverite?

Thanks!

I had the diverite regs, they were awsome, and if you can read a manual you can service it yourself (though I shouldnt recommend it). The only problem I had with mine was in the octo, where I had to adjust the intermediate pressure, not hard to do, other then that it wasnt bad at all.

DivingCRNA:
I am thinking hard about pulling the trigger on the Diverite regs. You can order it with a 5 foot hose and get the service parts with no hassle at all. i may get my wife's regs there for the same reason.

Do any of you have a reason to NOT go with Diverite?

Thanks!
OK, let me get this right, you want a good regulator set that you can get parts for and service yourself. First, do you want a grey market deal on the parts or do you want to get the parts without bending any manufacturer policies. If your answer is authorized parts with the blessing of the manufacturer then I think you are limited to DiveRite and Zeagle. If you are willing to get grey market parts (usually genuine manufacturer parts but without the blessings of that manufacturer) then lots of brands come to mind, but Apeks have been mentioned already.

My take on second stages is that I really like the dive/predive switch found on the Apeks and Zeagle second stages, it also looks like (from internet photos, not actual experience) that other regulators in the Aqualung line are showing this style switch. I think this style switch is more robust than the little vane found in the older Aqualung second stages. I have looked at the DiveRite and I am not impressed with the way they control the same functionality. I think that they all work fine, I just don't think some designs are as rugged as others and may over time be more prone to breakage or other mechanical problems. I have no actual experience with the DiveRite regs, since I do not own them but am still left with this general impression. I do own older US Divers and current Apeks regulators and have had no problems with the Apeks although I have only had them for less than a year.

The first stages on the Apeks, Zeagle, and DiveRite all appear to be well thought out, I have seen all of these brands in caves and I would feel confident with any of them inside a cave.

Whatever brand you decide to go with I would encourage you to get a sealed first stage. You are not diving in conditions that would need the environmental seal for thermal reasons, but it does serve to keep out salt water and other environmental contaminants. All other things being equal a sealed first stage should last longer than an otherwise identical unsealed version.

Apeks regulators are made in Great Britan. Zeagle regulators are made in Florida USA, and I do not know where the DiveRite regulators are made.

Since Zeagle has no barriers for retailers to sell parts kits, they are made in America, and they have the more rugged switch I would look there first. I would next pick the Apeks and the DiveRite a close third. Actually they are all really close according to your criteria so pick the one you are most comfortable or has the most attractive price.

I also think that all three of the brands I have mentioned come with DIN fittings standard or optional Yoke fittings.

Good Luck,

Mark Vlahos

flyfishin:
had my first experience with phil at dive sports. he was awesome very patient and helpful. 5 stars for what it's worth from a new guy

I'll give a 2nd... (or 3rd reply ) vote for Phil at Dive Sports also. that's where I bought my reg.

He's got both Apeks and Dive Rite, and his Dive Rite stuff is much cheaper than Dive Rite Express it.

Example is the Transpac harness with wing, wieght pockets, crotch strap, and cam buckles. At Dive Rite express you pay ala-carte full list price for these and about $860 or so... Dive Sports has the same setup in a "package deal" for $529.00 You can't beat that price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom