Regulator advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i ended up with a little more cash than i thought, so...

which is the "better" second stage, the ATX 50 or the ATX 40?

I have 50. But can't tell you the difference betwenn these two
Mania

The 50 has a knob that can be used to increase or decrease breathing resistance. The 40 doesn't have it. Other than that, same reg.

H2Andy:

While internally and performance wise they are the same reg (that goes for all ATX series second stages - they are identical inside) the ATX50 second will have the addition of a [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Cracking Resistance Control - alters breathing resistance to suit individual diver preference[/FONT][/FONT] -- so it will be more user friendly allow you to fine tune the breathing to your desired needs.

atx502ndstagelowres.jpg
<--- see the knob on side of the second stage, that is the dial for the control, which helps you tune the breathing at depth

H2Andy:

Andy,

The TX series have a larger diaphragm and therefore total larger physical size.

The ATX series have a smaller diaphragm and smaller size.

The TX50 has a larger exhaust tee than the ATX50.

The TX, ATX, 40, and 50 series regulators have essentially the same Dive / Pre Dive selector on the left side of the second stage.

The 40 series second stages do not have the breathing adjustment knob on the left hand side of the regulator.

The 50 series regulators have the adjustment knob. This adjustment knob can be used to make the regulator perform more precisely as your depth changes. It can also be used to make minor changes in the breathing adjustment over time between service adjustments. These adjustments are considered by some divers to be unnecessary while others like to fiddle with them. The best part about this adjustment knob is that it does no harm and can be adjusted back without any disassembly of the regulator.

My choice would be to get the TX50 as your primary second stage, and the ATX50 for your secondary second stage. This would be my choice if TX40, TX50, ATX40, and ATX50 second stages were all available. Price may be a consideration to you, but for me it played a smaller role on the initial investment.

If the TX50 regulator is not available to you and the only options are the ATX40 and the ATX50 I would choose the ATX50 for both my primary and secondary second stages.

I use the adjustment available on the 50 series second stages to de-tune the backup second stage to help to prevent free flow at shallow depths and in strong currents such as entering the Devils System or other high flow systems. Do I need to make these adjustments? No, a properly adjusted backup should not free flow in these environments, but I like to add just a little extra insurance to the equation.

Good luck,

Mark Vlahos

execellent, thank you guys...

due to price and availability, i just ordered the following:

Primary: DS4-ATX 50
Secondary: US4-ATX 40

thank you all for your awesome help

H2Andy:
execellent, thank you guys...

due to price and availability, i just ordered the following:

Primary: DS4-ATX 50
Secondary: US4-ATX 40

thank you all for your awesome help

why not get 2 of the same then? if you can it makes sense to have 2 identical regs/second stages to allow for part/component swapping if need be

There cannot be that much of a price diff between an ATX 40 and 50.

man, board just crashed as i was trying to respond...

they only had one ATX 50 left, and that was the sweet deal
(US4-ATX 50)

i had to bite the bullet and pay a little more for the DS4-ATX40 combo

Oh I see....then I guess you'd want to be using the DS4/ATX50 as your primary and the US4/ATX40 as the backup

ya... that was my thought exactly

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom