Regular diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

watergirl

Registered
Reaction score
This might be a silly question again, but I live in the frigid Pacific Northwest and want to learn to scuba dive. however, I'm not wild about owning a dry suit so I can dive in Puget Sound or the COLD Pacific Ocean. Are there any alternatives to keeping my (future) skills brushed up short of travelling to Jamaica, and other warm water exotic places? I'm accumulating massive student loan debt and don't need to max my credit cards travelling to go diving! Can you rent time in a pool or LDS for practice? Pardon the "newbie questions", but I just would like to know what I need to do to keep my skills sharp and safe for diving.

Watergirl

You could also try a semi-dry suit. The one that was recommended to me by my LDS (and the one I ended up buying) is the Mares Isotherm Millenium Edition 6.5 mil. I live in Minnesota, and water doesn't get much colder... they assured me that I would be plenty warm in 50 degree waters.

I hope this helps.

Oh... and cost at my LDS was just under $500. I figured since it was a 'try it on' item, the least I could do was buy it there. I haven't seen one online anyway, it IS really cool though! It also has a dry suit zipper across the shoulder blades and is designed to keep pretty much all water out. Again, I haven't used it yet, but I know 3 peope who have them and they've dove in 43 degree water for 30-40 minutes with no problems.

Hey watergirl, Usually when you sign up for a scuba course with a dive shop they permit you unlimited lifetime use of their pool for practicing or just to play around. At least that's my experiences with some of the dive shops out my way.

Chillywill

Hey Murdock let me know what you think of your Isotherm Millenium Edition when you get a chance to use it. I've been eying one for myself.

Chillywill

You say you're racking up student loan debt, are you at a university? Does the university offer scuba classes? I help out with a university scuba course (NAUI) and we always allow our students to come back and get in the water when we have enough gear available (we usually have a set or 2). Our scuba course is 2 credit hours so if you're a full time student all you really pay is the lab fee. Might be worth looking into.
Ber :bunny:

Might want to check out a local Dive Club. Our club rents pool time so that we can get in some H2O time during the winter months. I live in Upstate NY and the lakes are preaty much frozen over (except for this year). As for cold water diving I would try out the semi-dry's also. We have a member in out club that has one and he loves it.

I live and dive in the Pacific Northwest (Beaverton Oregon) and know exactly how you feel. I still dive in a wetsuit year round up here but am getting ready for a dry suit soon. You can dive in a wet suit if you can stay warm between dives. If you don't like the idea of a wetsuit then a semi-dry suit is a cheaper option. Another consideration is a neoprene dry suit. They are about half the price of a shell suit. Another couple of options are to check with local shops for used dry suits. Or you may ask about working at a local shop for gear. I have a friend that works one day a week just for the gear. It works well for him and the shop owner.

Where in the PNW are you from?

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom