Regs.. cold and deep

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Longstocking

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
OK... so I'm pretty new.... but have a couple questions... I don't want this to turn into a which is better debate in terms of what brands... BUT ... isn't thre always a but? :lol:

I need something that will work in cold water.... about 30 to 40 degrees... and to about 120 feet ( maybe deeper as I get more experience... so I don't want to have to upgrade later) I live in Maryland... so obviously I live in wreck country.

I've tried old scuba pros and hated them.... I've tried mares... hated them as well ( not sure on model but It was a rental so probably a crappy one). Both did NOT breath dry when in weird positions. So now you know what I hate :lol:

I have access to apex... but reallly don't want to go that way... as I don't like the shop that would have to do repairs on them... infact despise them :lol:

I am I being a tad negative ??? :confused: :mooner: :lol:

Ok I've tried Atomic and loved them... the low end one though... the z1... but would this reg be ok in cold water though? I know deep would be ok... just not sure on cold... I did take it down to 43 degree temps at 100 feet... and had no problems but it was only for 10 min or so... and it was a great breather in weird positions.

I have access to almost any brand in my area... just want to stay away from apex due to not liking the shop I would have to deal with.

I want something I will not have to replace for a VERY long time....and don't mind spending a bit of money on a good reg... but not something expensive like the t2.

I also want something that will last a long time with TONS of usuage.... so nothing that will give out when I start diving too much :wink: ....is there such a thing? LOL

Ideas ?

My Scubapro MK25/S600 and G250 breath very dry in all positions and depth. My husband uses the MK5/109 and it is also a dry reg. It would probably be more helpful for you if you tried a reg that was new or well maintained.

I love my Apeks TX 100. It breathes dry in every position I might find myself in, I have never over breathed it (including nasty currents and chasing that elusive lobster round and round that coral head), it's been great to as deep as 179 feet and I haven't had any free flow problems when ice diving.

I found it by accident reading a Rodale's gear review a few years ago when it got a Tester's Choice and Best Buy award and I haven't been sorry yet. The only negative I've found is that the warranty apparently only covers replacement parts every other year, according to my LDS. It's a small price to pay, though, for what otherwise has been a reg I can take anywhere and do anything with.

See you down there!

The scuba pros I tried were the 30 year old ones.... so that may be part of it... Like I said... OLD :lol: ... I'm sure the fact they didn't breath dry ... was more due to them being old.. than not well maintained. The mares .. I really have no idea as they were rented from a distant local... so not sure.

Like I said... NO APEX... nothing against the company... I just don't want to have to deal with the local shop that carries them. I'm sure they make great regs... but I'm also sure there is another company that I can purchase from that I will be just as pleased with.

Scuba pro isn't out of the question... I'll take suggestions... I was just letting people know what I've tried that I didn't like.... If the newer ones breath better and are work horses .... please suggest away.

I'm just looking for suggestions so I can go try these regs to see which one I like the best in the conditions I listed above.

Longstocking:
Ok I've tried Atomic and loved them... the low end one though... the z1... but would this reg be ok in cold water though? I know deep would be ok... just not sure on cold... I did take it down to 43 degree temps at 100 feet... and had no problems but it was only for 10 min or so... and it was a great breather in weird positions.

Ideas ?

The Z1 will work just fine if you get the Environmental Seal kit (a replacement rubber cover for the outside, and freeze-proof grease for the inside).

The M1 comes with the seal kit installed from the factory.

I own both, and they've been flawless at any depth or temperature.

Terry

My poseidon Xstreams have been to 110ft in 32 degree water and they have performed marvelously. I've also had Mares Abbyss down in similar conditions and performed flawlessly. The high end Sherwood regs are also good candidates although they aren't in the same league as the aformentioned regs in term of ease of breathing. Haven't tried the Scubapros but the Mk17 first with a G250HP or S600 seems to be very well regarded for cold water use . I've seen the Zeagle regs in action up here in northern Quebec and their owners don't complain about the performance they have to offer.

Disclaimer: All of my recommendations are based on research, not first-hand observations.

Now, with that, here are some options that I've read/heard are strong cold-water regs (in no particular order):

1) Scubapro MK17/G250HP (MK25, though a great reg, may have issues with extreme cold)
2) Mares Abyss
3) Atomic Z2
4) Aqualung Legend
5) Zeagle ZX-Flathead VI, ZX-50D or ZX-DSV

John

Many fine companies offer top of the line regulators that will meet your needs.

With the possible exception of titanium regulators, you tend to get what you pay for.

Among other high quality companies, given that you've ruled out Apex, those with extremely reliable regulators include ScubaPro, Aqualung, Atomic, Oceanic, Zeagle, and Poseiden. I would feel comfortable with a top of the line regulator from any of them, and suspect that they will all meet your performance specifications.

It comes down to how convenient it is to have them serviced and, candidly, price. It is not a bad idea to find a local retailer or two whom you would like to build a constructive relationship with, and work with them to find what you need. (But, as you may already know, its considered poor form to do your comparison shopping at local retailers and then once you've made a decision, purchase online.)

That said, high quality top of the line regulators can also be purchased used. Take them to a retailer, pay to have them serviced, and you can occasionally pay considerably less than retail for virtually the same quality and performance.

Ebay can be your friend! :wink:

Hope this helps,

Doc

I don't plan on shopping around our area then buying online. It's more about renting in our area at the moment... then buying 6 months to a year from now ( as buying isn't an option quite yet) . I just wanted to know what I should "try" and rent.... so I will know what to buy. Is this considered bad form? I would think it isn't... but I'm new. I guess it's a form of shopping.... but I'm also paying them to rent the dang thing lol.

Atomic is probably the easist as I have 2 stores REALLY close to me that sell them... but scuba pro as well. Oceanic... probably just as easy.

What Oceanic would be a good model to try?

Longstocking:
I don't plan on shopping around our area then buying online. It's more about renting in our area at the moment... then buying 6 months to a year from now ( as buying isn't an option quite yet) . I just wanted to know what I should "try" and rent.... so I will know what to buy. Is this considered bad form? I would think it isn't... but I'm new. I guess it's a form of shopping.... but I'm also paying them to rent the dang thing lol.

Atomic is probably the easist as I have 2 stores REALLY close to me that sell them... but scuba pro as well. Oceanic... probably just as easy.

What Oceanic would be a good model to try?

Delta 4 FDX10

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom